POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7.0RC3 -- make check -- how long should the test run? Server Time
6 Jul 2022 18:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  3.7.0RC3 -- make check -- how long should the test run? (Message 11 to 15 of 15)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: 3.7.0RC3 -- make check -- how long should the test run?
Date: 22 Jun 2011 04:49:46
Message: <4e01acaa$1@news.povray.org>
Trying to provide more ideas to Jan-Philip Gehrcke:

> ../configure --prefix=/home/bioinfp/jang/apps/povray37
> --with-boost-thread=boost_thread-mt COMPILED_BY="foo" CFLAGS="-I $BOOST_ROOT"
> CXXFLAGS="-I $BOOST_ROOT"

I wonder about the need for ../ ?
Shouldn't it be "./configure", ran from the root directory of the sources ?

Also, on my "never installed any povray on this" system, there is two
complains about "cannot open file"

> ./unix/povray +i./scenes/advanced/biscuit.pov -f +d +p +v +w320 +h240 +a0.3
+L./include
> povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
discouraged.
> povray: cannot open the system configuration file
/home/grimbert/povray37/etc/povray/3.7/povray.conf: No such file or directory
> povray: cannot open the user configuration file
/home/grimbert/.povray/3.7/povray.conf: No such file or directory
> povray: I/O restrictions are disabled
> Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.7.0.RC3 (g++ 4.4.5 @
>  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
> This is a release candidate of POV-Ray version 3.7.0.
> General distribution is strongly discouraged.

Whereas, in Jan-Philip Gehrcke log, there is only one complains and then
it stucks (or whatever).
Could it be that there is already something
in $HOME/.povray/3.7/povray.conf ???



-- 
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.


Post a reply to this message

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke
Subject: Re: 3.7.0RC3 -- make check -- how long should the test run?
Date: 22 Jun 2011 05:15:00
Message: <web.4e01b0f85d5b93c12b256d410@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> I wonder a bit about the construct
>
>   while ( !Stream.eof() )
>   {
>    // get and preprocess line
>    std::getline(Stream, line);
>    line = pre_process_conf_line(line);
>    ++line_number;
>
>    // skip empty line
>    if(line.length() == 0)
>     continue;
>

In my case, this loop was an endless loop. line.length() was always 0 and the
Stream.eof() never returned true (at least I checked this until line_number =
9).

I was interested in which file was actually parsed here:

(gdb) print conf_name
$7 = (const std::locale::string &) @0x92f7f8: {
  static npos = 18446744073709551615,
  _M_dataplus = {<std::allocator<char>> = {<__gnu_cxx::new_allocator<char>> =
{<No data fields>}, <No data fields>},
    _M_p = 0x92f928 "/home/bioinfp/jang/.povray/3.7/povray.conf"}}

And now it gets funny:

ls -ahl /home/bioinfp/jang/.povray/3.7/
[...]
1.5K drwxr-xr-x 2 jang bioinfp 2 2011-06-08 15:50 povray.conf/

povray.conf was a directory in my case. I removed it, restarted 'make check' and
the test worked fine (X window opened..."POV-Ray finished").

I think the path /home/bioinfp/jang/.povray/3.7/ existed due to some former
tries of myself to 'make install' povray. I have no idea why this povray.conf
existed as a _directory_ -- it may be my fault from earlier times. But you maybe
could add some more dir/file checking so that povray never tries to read lines
from a directory :-)

I removed ~/povray and invoked 'make install'. Now, there is only one small
problem left:

Creating data directories...
Copying data files...
Creating documentation directories...
Copying documentation files...
Creating user directories...
chown: changing ownership of `/home/bioinfp/jang/.povray': Operation not
permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/home/bioinfp/jang/.povray/3.7': Operation not
permitted
make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/bioinfp/jang/sumpf/povray-3.7.0.RC3'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bioinfp/jang/sumpf/povray-3.7.0.RC3'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

The installation works, but what does the make script try to do with the
permissions? And yes, my home directory is a mounted NFS.

Thanks for your help,

Jan-Philip


Post a reply to this message

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke
Subject: Re: 3.7.0RC3 -- make check -- how long should the test run?
Date: 22 Jun 2011 05:25:00
Message: <web.4e01b3e65d5b93c12b256d410@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Trying to provide more ideas to Jan-Philip Gehrcke:
>
> > ../configure --prefix=/home/bioinfp/jang/apps/povray37
> > --with-boost-thread=boost_thread-mt COMPILED_BY="foo" CFLAGS="-I $BOOST_ROOT"
> > CXXFLAGS="-I $BOOST_ROOT"
>
> I wonder about the need for ../ ?
> Shouldn't it be "./configure", ran from the root directory of the sources ?

Yes, I executed ./configure. That was only a 'typo' in the mail.


> Whereas, in Jan-Philip Gehrcke log, there is only one complains and then
> it stucks (or whatever).
> Could it be that there is already something
> in $HOME/.povray/3.7/povray.conf ???

I should have read this mail before starting gdb. You would have brought me on
the right track easier :-) Sorry for all the excitement just due to this stupid
directory.

JP


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: 3.7.0RC3 -- make check -- how long should the test run?
Date: 22 Jun 2011 08:49:24
Message: <4e01e4d4@news.povray.org>
Am 22.06.2011 11:10, schrieb Jan-Philip Gehrcke:

> In my case, this loop was an endless loop. line.length() was always 0 and the
> Stream.eof() never returned true (at least I checked this until line_number =
> 9).
>
> I was interested in which file was actually parsed here:
...
> povray.conf was a directory in my case. I removed it, restarted 'make check' and
> the test worked fine (X window opened..."POV-Ray finished").

Duh - I guess we have a problem there.

Next question that arises here: Is this problem limited to reading of 
Unix config files (or should we say directories? :-)), or does it also 
happen with other text file read accesses, e.g. a scene or INI file? And 
is this a Unix-specific issue, or does it also affect Windows?

I guess there's work to do now; an endless loop is /not/ an acceptable 
mode of failure. Thanks for finding this bug. Would you mind filing a 
bug report on http://bugs.povray.org?


Post a reply to this message

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke
Subject: Re: 3.7.0RC3 -- make check -- how long should the test run?
Date: 22 Jun 2011 10:00:00
Message: <web.4e01f4505d5b93c12b256d410@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> Am 22.06.2011 11:10, schrieb Jan-Philip Gehrcke:
>
> > In my case, this loop was an endless loop. line.length() was always 0 and the
> > Stream.eof() never returned true (at least I checked this until line_number =
> > 9).
> >
> > I was interested in which file was actually parsed here:
> ...
> > povray.conf was a directory in my case. I removed it, restarted 'make check' and
> > the test worked fine (X window opened..."POV-Ray finished").
>
> Duh - I guess we have a problem there.
>
> Next question that arises here: Is this problem limited to reading of
> Unix config files (or should we say directories? :-)), or does it also
> happen with other text file read accesses, e.g. a scene or INI file? And
> is this a Unix-specific issue, or does it also affect Windows?
>
> I guess there's work to do now; an endless loop is /not/ an acceptable
> mode of failure. Thanks for finding this bug. Would you mind filing a
> bug report on http://bugs.povray.org?

Of course, here it is: http://bugs.povray.org/task/213
As it turns out, the fix in this specific function is pretty simple. But maybe
there are more of these things?

JP


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.