POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC2 on Linux - why the (new?) pov'pid' files in /tmp ? Server Time
2 Jun 2024 02:52:49 EDT (-0400)
  RC2 on Linux - why the (new?) pov'pid' files in /tmp ? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: geep999
Subject: RC2 on Linux - why the (new?) pov'pid' files in /tmp ?
Date: 15 Jan 2011 14:20:01
Message: <web.4d31f2db4c97cd80380f8080@news.povray.org>
Slackware 13.0 x86_64 running RC2 - I've recently started finding pov'pid' files
in my /tmp directory - where 'pid' was the povray process id.
They're quite big - 60Mb or so - similar size to the .pov-state file in my
working directory.

Usually they're cleaned up at the end of a povray run, but if I kill a job then
they're left behind.

I don't remember ever seeing them before RC2 - what are they for?
Should they be there?

Cheers,
Peter

Post a reply to this message

Le 15/01/2011 20:17, geep999 nous fit lire :
> Slackware 13.0 x86_64 running RC2 - I've recently started finding pov'pid' files
> in my /tmp directory - where 'pid' was the povray process id.
> They're quite big - 60Mb or so - similar size to the .pov-state file in my
> working directory.
>
> Usually they're cleaned up at the end of a povray run, but if I kill a job then
> they're left behind.
>
> I don't remember ever seeing them before RC2 - what are they for?
> Should they be there?
There: yes.
They are used for big picture to avoid taking too much valued ram.
(so far the trigger is more than 1024² pixels, but it is still a hot
topic and might evolve, as far as I know (and I ignore a lot of things!))
You can change the location by exporting POV_TEMP_DIR value if /tmp does
not suit you.

Post a reply to this message

> Le 15/01/2011 20:17, geep999 nous fit lire :
> > Slackware 13.0 x86_64 running RC2 - I've recently started finding pov'pid' files
> > in my /tmp directory - where 'pid' was the povray process id.
> > They're quite big - 60Mb or so - similar size to the .pov-state file in my
> > working directory.
> >
> > Usually they're cleaned up at the end of a povray run, but if I kill a job then
> > they're left behind.
> >
> > I don't remember ever seeing them before RC2 - what are they for?
> > Should they be there?
> There: yes.
> They are used for big picture to avoid taking too much valued ram.
> (so far the trigger is more than 1024² pixels, but it is still a hot
> topic and might evolve, as far as I know (and I ignore a lot of things!))
> You can change the location by exporting POV_TEMP_DIR value if /tmp does
> not suit you.
Ta for the answer.
But - I have only observed the pov'pid' file being about 60Mb.
I can surely spare 60Mb out of my 4Gb for "big pictures".
And using RAM ought to be faster too.
I'm frequently creating 2048x1536=3145728 pixels pictures - I suppose it's
"big".
What are 1024² pixels? (I'm seeing 1024 capitalAgrave squared on my PC -
should it be 1024 Megapixels?).

Perhaps it's something that the user could control by over-riding a default
using an environment variable?

Cheers,
Peter

Post a reply to this message