POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Any thoughts on this feature request? Server Time
18 Jun 2024 09:51:45 EDT (-0400)
  Any thoughts on this feature request? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Any thoughts on this feature request?
Date: 13 Dec 2010 16:05:00
Message: <web.4d068a3c4b00ec79966554e20@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I mentioned this idea recently as a side-note to an image posting
(http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.4cf3d937758d7bd8966554e20%40news.povray.org%3E/),
but I've thought about it some more and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea
to make an official feature request at the bug tracking website.

Here's the idea: Generalize the light_group concept into a group of scene
elements that only affect each other in terms of reflections, radiosity, etc. -
essentially a mini-scene within the scene. Allow these groups to be nested.

Currently, the light_group, no_shadow, no_reflection, and no_radiosity tags
provide a great deal of functionality, but this may be a more flexible method to
achieve additional effects. I have no idea how easy or difficult this may be to
implement, I'm just wondering what others think.

Any comments?

Regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message

I'd like to add that with this concept one could significantly optimize the
render time for certain scenes as well!

"Dave Blandston" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I mentioned this idea recently as a side-note to an image posting

(http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.4cf3d937758d7bd8966554e20%40news.povray.org%3E/),
> but I've thought about it some more and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea
> to make an official feature request at the bug tracking website.
>
> Here's the idea: Generalize the light_group concept into a group of scene
> elements that only affect each other in terms of reflections, radiosity, etc. -
> essentially a mini-scene within the scene. Allow these groups to be nested.
>
> Currently, the light_group, no_shadow, no_reflection, and no_radiosity tags
> provide a great deal of functionality, but this may be a more flexible method to
> achieve additional effects. I have no idea how easy or difficult this may be to
> implement, I'm just wondering what others think.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Regards,
> Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message