POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Benchmarking from Command-Line with POV-Ray 0.37 beta (Windows) Server Time
29 Jun 2024 11:40:44 EDT (-0400)
  Benchmarking from Command-Line with POV-Ray 0.37 beta (Windows) (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Pakko
Subject: Benchmarking from Command-Line with POV-Ray 0.37 beta (Windows)
Date: 19 Aug 2010 10:30:00
Message: <web.4c6d392721d2fa6a6fe52ed40@news.povray.org>
Hi,

user-interaction. In case of the linux-versions of POV-ray there seems to be an
command-line switch --benchmark (mentioned in changelog). Is there something
similar for windows systems?

povbench_37.pov) and povbench.$$2 (renamed as povbench_37.ini) at the moment.
For benchmarking i use the following command

pvengine.exe povbench_37.ini povbench_37.pov All_File=true /EXIT

Unfortunately if i benchmark this way, the rendering-process takes about a
minute longer than the rendering-process tooks when starting the benchmark via

"CPU Time used" and "Elapsed Time" (in 0.36 this worked fine). These information
appear in the POV-Ray-console but not in the log-file.

If it is possible to start the benchmark directly from the command-line, it
would be great if someone could tell me how. If this is not possible, perhaps
someone has an idea, why starting the benchmark-scene from command-line delivers
not the same time-results as the integrated benchmark (gui) and how i could get
all elapsed-time-informations in the log-file.

Post a reply to this message

> If it is possible to start the benchmark directly from the command-line, it
> would be great if someone could tell me how. If this is not possible, perhaps
> someone has an idea, why starting the benchmark-scene from command-line delivers
> not the same time-results as the integrated benchmark (gui) and how i could get
> all elapsed-time-informations in the log-file.

I'm just guessing here, but maybe the render is already started before
the POV-Ray GUI has been fully initialized, in which case the render
engine and GUI would fight for I/O bandwidth (during scene parsing)
and/or CPU time (during rendering).