POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : image_map bump_map and other finish_map Server Time
30 Jun 2024 13:29:50 EDT (-0400)
  image_map bump_map and other finish_map (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Mr
Subject: image_map bump_map and other finish_map
Date: 16 May 2010 17:20:00
Message: <web.4bf05e62e9ef9c066d33b2480@news.povray.org>
As I understand it, we currently have image_map for pigment, bump_map for
normal,
But for all the rest  like specular being the next most frequently used channel
to texture map, the workflow is different:

We have to use image_pattern or pigment_pattern followed by a texture_list with
entries to create variations in channels of the finish. I don't have anything a
priori against one or the other method, just their currently necessary
combination is hard to understand/control and probably the cause for the little
number of feature complete exporters for pov.

Is there anything planned or already implemented to make things more consistent
throughout in next versions of POV? If not, is there good reason for it or can
we make propositions? I'm also thinking that, since a real way to map normals to
tangent space  as well as maps to tweak SSLT might one day get implemented, it
is not too late yet to give input on how it could work and plan it ahead while
tidying the rest at the same time?

Post a reply to this message