POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Linux Beta 37 (from Win Beta 37 source) - OK on Slackware 12.2 / 13.0 Server Time
30 Jun 2024 13:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  Linux Beta 37 (from Win Beta 37 source) - OK on Slackware 12.2 / 13.0 (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: geep999
Subject: Linux Beta 37 (from Win Beta 37 source) - OK on Slackware 12.2 / 13.0
Date: 2 May 2010 10:45:01
Message: <web.4bdd8e50ee8923c0380f8080@news.povray.org>
Hi all,
I'm now running Beta 37 OK on Linux - Slackware 12.2 32 bit and Slackware 13.0
64 bit.
Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients
povray-3.7.0.beta.35a.tar.bz2
povwin-src-3.7.beta.37.zip

Method
0/ Expand the Windows beta.37 archive and the Linux beta.35a archive and upgrade
the Linux files as detailed below.
1/ Copy all files (*.h *.cpp) from Windows vfe to Linux vfe (but not the
directory win).
2/ Copy all files (*.h *.cpp) in Windows source to Linux source (but not the
directories).
Descend to each directory below source in turn. Copy the files (*.h *.cpp) from
Windows to Linux equivalent.
3/ Edit some files:
3.1/ VERSION to 3.7.0.beta.37
3.2/ source/backend/configbackend.h
At line 100 add 4 lines:
// The output file format used if the user doesn't specify one
#ifndef DEFAULT_OUTPUT_FORMAT
 #define DEFAULT_OUTPUT_FORMAT   't'
#endif
3.3/ boost is part of the regular Slackware distribution - 1.36 on Slack 12.2
and 1.38 on Slack 13.0.
These are not the required 1.37.
Not knowing what disasters might occur to other programs if I upgraded or
downgraded boost, I ignored the 1.37 requirement.
So I edited configure.ac line 73 from 1.37 to 1.36.
4/ Rebuild make files:
aclocal
automake
autoconf
5/ ./configure with your favourite options, then make and make install
I used:
../configure \
--with-boost-thread=boost_thread-mt \
COMPILED_BY="Beta37 from windows beta code"
And to make sure all is good:
make check
should render the tea (coffee?) and biscuits OK.
They rendered OK on both Slack 12.2 and Slack 13.0.

6/ I was touched by this issue "Beta 37 changes to file gamma?"
http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3C4bd75988%40news.povray.org%3E/
so changed 2 lines in my povray.ini
from:
File_Gamma=1.0