POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Building for a 64-bit architecture Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:45:59 EDT (-0400)
  Building for a 64-bit architecture (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Building for a 64-bit architecture
Date: 11 Aug 2009 20:59:01
Message: <4a8213d5$1@news.povray.org>
Duh!

If you thought getting Boost to build for x64 was fun, why not round it
off with linking openEXR...

Why the **** must everyone invent their own build process? Can't they
just stick to *EITHER* what Visual Studio has to offer, *OR* use a nice
proper makefile??

But no - apparently a software isn't sophisticated enough until it needs
its own obscure home-brewn build tools, so that you have fun trying to
compile *that* first (let alone getting it to do what it should). Where
boost has bjam, openEXR prefers to use post build steps with some
"createDLL" tool. Needless to say that, of course, that tool is
hard-coded to *not* be compatible with compiling for x64...

*RRRRAAAAWWWRGH!!!*

(*bites keyboard*)

Well, there's hope: I did find a site on the internet from someone
claiming to have set up a Visual Studio project to compile openEXR on
x64; but while that's busy downloading, I guess I'll have another bite
of my input device...