POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : FYI: radiosity changes integrated Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:45 EDT (-0400)
  FYI: radiosity changes integrated (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: FYI: radiosity changes integrated
Date: 8 Jan 2009 04:54:54
Message: <4965cd6e$1@news.povray.org>
Just an FYI to the folks who are interested: Christoph's radiosity fixes
have been integrated and see to work very well. A hearty 'thanks' to him
for this! I intend to do a release in the next day or two that incorporates
the new code.

On my system (8 cores), cornell.pov at 1280x1024 AA 0.3 renders in 20
seconds with a speedup ratio of about 7x. I haven't looked into what might
be chewing up the rest of the CPU time, other than to note that the cores
aren't quite 100% pegged in the first five or so seconds of the render. (I
am guessing it may be related to the early sampling and octree code but
either way I'm happy enough with it just as it is:)

I haven't tried any animations yet or anything.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> Just an FYI to the folks who are interested: Christoph's radiosity fixes
> have been integrated and see to work very well. A hearty 'thanks' to him
> for this! I intend to do a release in the next day or two that incorporates
> the new code.
>
> On my system (8 cores), cornell.pov at 1280x1024 AA 0.3 renders in 20
> seconds with a speedup ratio of about 7x.

Whoa!  clipka is really Santa under disguise! :D

Post a reply to this message

"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Whoa!  clipka is really Santa under disguise! :D

Hey .... and thanks Chris as well for getting to this quickly!

Post a reply to this message

> Just an FYI to the folks who are interested: Christoph's radiosity fixes
> have been integrated and see to work very well. A hearty 'thanks' to him
> for this! I intend to do a release in the next day or two that incorporates
> the new code.

You guys are magicians! I stand in awe of what both of you have accomplished.

Ken W.

Post a reply to this message