POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : spline problems still not solved Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  spline problems still not solved (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
Subject: spline problems still not solved
Date: 22 Apr 2002 03:39:17
Message: <m4f7cug9ch19jbve8m8prf4vl8ima0rsma@4ax.com>
POV 3.5 RC2 icl on WinNT Sp 6 PII 233 with 128 MB

I have reported several porblems around splines in RC1in some thread last week
but they were probably a little trivialized becouse of "still being worked on"
status. Now Splines are on "Fixed bugs" list so I can focus some things.
For tests I have used the same source I posted in
http://news.povray.org/m7fq3u41ctia9e6i3tbnlstn6ek739vpke%404ax.com
but I only limited range in Draw() macro from:
      #local c=1;
      #while (c<=(Points-Step))
      :
      sphere{Spline(Points Force()) Radius}
to:
      #local c=2;
      #while (c<=((Points-1)-Step))
      :
      sphere{Spline((Points-1) Force()) Radius}
becouse of smaller number of "real" points for cubic spline.

Experimenting script was designed to render two rows of spline in following
order:
    linear cubic cubic linear forced_cubic
    cubic linear linear cubic forced_cubic

So problems are now:
- forcing cubic_spline at moment of calculation not work - that's probably
  bug in parser becouse it not accepts cubic_spline where it expects
  cubic_spline - error is:
      ,cubic_spline <----ERROR
      Parse Error: linear_spline, quadratic_spline, natural_spline,
      or cubic_spline expected.
  for further tests I commented content of Force() macro to not force
  cubic_spline then
- first column - pure definition - works fine
- second column - copying spline with changing type and all points
  redefinition - works wrong
- third column - copying spline with changing type - works wrong
- fourth column - copying spline with additional point - works fine
- fifth column - forcing type at calculation time - can't be tested becouse
  described above bug

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> - forcing cubic_spline at moment of calculation not work - that's probably
>   bug in parser becouse it not accepts cubic_spline where it expects
>   cubic_spline - error is:
>       ,cubic_spline <----ERROR
>       Parse Error: linear_spline, quadratic_spline, natural_spline,
>       or cubic_spline expected.
>   for further tests I commented content of Force() macro to not force
>   cubic_spline then
> - fifth column - forcing type at calculation time - can't be tested because
>   described above bug

Use the old keyword "catmull_rom_spline"; it had still been in this place in
the parser.

> - second column - copying spline with changing type and all points
>   redefinition - works wrong
> - third column - copying spline with changing type - works wrong

The same problem as the spline type is simply not changed.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde