POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Looping Dictionaries Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:54:37 EDT (-0400)
  Looping Dictionaries (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: ingo
Subject: Looping Dictionaries
Date: 1 Dec 2018 14:45:14
Message: <XnsA9ABD31EF6948seed7@news.povray.org>
As the dictionary implementation seems to be based upon, or closely
related to arrays, I tried to loop over a dict as if it where a Array.
This doesnt work and yes, the docs are silent on this.

Is it possible?
Can it be made possible? (Are dicts kept in order?)

get the length / dimension_size and loop over a dict getting a key value
pair as pseudo tuple as result.

#while (i < dimension_size(dict,1)-1)
    	#local (key, value) = dict[i];
#end

It would be useful when working with splines or boning and inverse
kinematics to have both ways of accessing a dict. Another one would be
appending dictionaries without knowing all the exact keys.

ingo

Post a reply to this message

> As the dictionary implementation seems to be based upon, or closely
> related to arrays, I tried to loop over a dict as if it where a Array.
> This doesnt work and yes, the docs are silent on this.
>
> Is it possible?
> Can it be made possible? (Are dicts kept in order?)

/Some/ mechanism to make it possible is on the ToDo list, but the plans
are still quite fuzzy.

You could work around the lack of such a feature by maintaining a
separate array of keys.

Post a reply to this message

>> Can it be made possible? (Are dicts kept in order?)
> [...]
>
> You could work around the lack of such a feature by maintaining a
> separate array of keys.

That's what I've done so far, keeping several Arrays as 'indexes' in the
dict.

Thanks,

ingo