POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Mapping warp and render window bugs Server Time
26 Apr 2024 19:45:16 EDT (-0400)
  Mapping warp and render window bugs (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Coridon Henshaw
Subject: Mapping warp and render window bugs
Date: 8 Jan 2002 23:50:17
Message: <Xns9190F27EBFE9Bcsbhccse@204.213.191.226>
1) Selecting 'preserve contents during animation' from the render menu
appears to have no effect when the animation options are specified in the
commandline shortcut box.  The render window is repainted with the
checkerboard pattern after each frame.  Animation options used: "+kfi0
+kff27 +ki0 +kf27".

2) Maximizing the render window during a trace will occasionally leave a
partial line of the checkerboard background visible on the line the
renderer was generating when the render window was maximized.  The artifact
disappears when the render is completed or when another window is dragged
across it.  Possible fix: repaint the client area of the render window
after it has been maximized.

3) Object lighting is calculated incorrectly when mapping warps are used in
normals and the object is rotated.  This behavior does not appear to be
specified in the documentation.

Example scene:

sphere {<0,0,0>, 1 pigment {rgb 0.5}
    normal
    {
        bozo
        scale <2.0/pi,0.5/pi,1 >*0.025
        warp {spherical orientation z}

    }
    /* Render this scene without the rotate directive and compare the
       results. With rotation, the sphere is nearly black.*/
    rotate x*90
}

camera {location z*2.5 look_at 0} light_source {<0,0,1e6> rgb 1}

Povwin b9 under Win2K.

Post a reply to this message

>1) Selecting 'preserve contents during animation' from the render menu
>appears to have no effect when the animation options are specified in the
>commandline shortcut box.  The render window is repainted with the
>checkerboard pattern after each frame.  Animation options used: "+kfi0
>+kff27 +ki0 +kf27".

It behaves correctly on my machine.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

>3) Object lighting is calculated incorrectly when mapping warps are used in
>normals and the object is rotated.  This behavior does not appear to be
>specified in the documentation.
>
>Example scene:
>
>sphere {<0,0,0>, 1 pigment {rgb 0.5}
>    normal
>    {
>        bozo
>        scale <2.0/pi,0.5/pi,1 >*0.025
>        warp {spherical orientation z}
>
>    }
>    /* Render this scene without the rotate directive and compare the
>       results. With rotation, the sphere is nearly black.*/
>    rotate x*90
>}
>
>camera {location z*2.5 look_at 0} light_source {<0,0,1e6> rgb 1}

Confirmed

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

On 8 Jan 2002 23:50:17 -0500, che### [at] sympaticoca (Coridon Henshaw)
wrote:

snip

>2) Maximizing the render window during a trace will occasionally leave a
>partial line of the checkerboard background visible on the line the
>renderer was generating when the render window was maximized.  The artifact
>disappears when the render is completed or when another window is dragged
>across it.  Possible fix: repaint the client area of the render window
>after it has been maximized.

I can confirm but must add that POV-Ray 3.1 also does this (well:
povray 3.1 leaves black instead of checkerboard but it is otherwise
the same behavior).