POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 23 benchmarked on a wide variety of chips Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Beta 23 benchmarked on a wide variety of chips (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Beta 23 benchmarked on a wide variety of chips
Date: 10 Jan 2009 05:34:41
Message: <496879c1$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> "Compression of the median nerve as it runs deep to the transverse carpal
>> ligament (TCL) causes wasting of the thenar eminence, weakness of the flexor
>> pollicis brevis, adductor pollicis, opponens pollicis, abductor pollicis
>> brevis, as well as sensory loss in the distribution of the median nerve distal
>> to the transverse carpal ligament, sparing the superficial sensory branch given
>> that its branch point is normally proximal to the TCL and travels superficially
>> thus avoiding compression."
>
> Yeah, it seems to me that especially medical and mathematical Wikipedia articles
> tend to be full of such "expert chinese". Things that make you go, "huh?"

Frequently the source is also easy to identify: A lot of these articles cite
some research papers, and if you check you will find the wikipedia article
simply includes some paragraphs from the papers.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> Trevor G Quayle <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> "Compression of the median nerve as it runs deep to the transverse carpal
>> ligament (TCL) causes wasting of the thenar eminence, weakness of the
>> flexor pollicis brevis, adductor pollicis, opponens pollicis, abductor
>> pollicis brevis, as well as sensory loss in the distribution of the
>> median nerve distal to the transverse carpal ligament, sparing the
>> superficial sensory branch given that its branch point is normally
>> proximal to the TCL and travels superficially thus avoiding compression."
>
>> This is carpal tunnel syndrome in layman's terms...
>
>   I'd hate to see the academic formal definition. ;)

I think (hope!) Trevor meant "That junk above is, in layman terms, known
as 'carpal tunnel syndrome'".

Post a reply to this message

> and if you check you will find the wikipedia
> article simply includes some paragraphs from the papers.

Hmm is that legal? What are the usual terms of use for academic papers?