POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : weird white stain with beta povray v3.8.0 (not with povray v3.7.0) Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:14:52 EDT (-0400)
  weird white stain with beta povray v3.8.0 (not with povray v3.7.0) (Message 1 to 10 of 23)
From: Warren
Subject: weird white stain with beta povray v3.8.0 (not with povray v3.7.0)
Date: 13 Jan 2022 09:10:00
Message: <web.61e031d584692a571d602a3e756b296@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I post a message here, because I get a weird render with povray 3.8.0 beta 1 of
a scene with the following resolution : 1280x960 (see attached image with this
message) , you can see a white stain that has the shape of a heart near the
pentagram. When I render this same scene with stable v3.7.0 the white stain
doesn't appear. And even weird, when I render this scene with povray "3.8.0
beta1" but with the resolution of 640x480, I don't get this white stain in the
final image. Usually I'm cautious before I claim this is a bug and that the
error is not between the keyboard and the chair, but there is something wrong
there.
Regards,
Antoine.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'halloweenhousenighttime3.8.png' (1167 KB)

Preview of image 'halloweenhousenighttime3.8.png'
halloweenhousenighttime3.8.png

> I post a message here, because I get a weird render with povray 3.8.0 beta 1 of
> a scene with the following resolution : 1280x960 (see attached image with this
> message) , you can see a white stain that has the shape of a heart near the
> pentagram. When I render this same scene with stable v3.7.0 the white stain
> doesn't appear. And even weird, when I render this scene with povray "3.8.0
> beta1" but with the resolution of 640x480, I don't get this white stain in the
> final image. Usually I'm cautious before I claim this is a bug and that the
> error is not between the keyboard and the chair, but there is something wrong
> there.
> Regards,
> Antoine.

Yes, there is something wrong. Now, a few questions :
Is there a resolution where it just start to show up ?
Did you try at 800x600, 1024x768, 1600x1200 ?
Did you try at some different aspect ratio, like 800x800 or 1600x800 ?

You should post the scene file to povray.binaries.scene-files
Be sure to include any custom .inc files and image used. If there are
more than a single file used, zip them together.
That way, we can try to reproduce your issue.

Post a reply to this message

> I post a message here, because I get a weird render with povray 3.8.0 beta 1 of
> a scene with the following resolution : 1280x960 (see attached image with this
> message) , you can see a white stain that has the shape of a heart near the
> pentagram. When I render this same scene with stable v3.7.0 the white stain
> doesn't appear. And even weird, when I render this scene with povray "3.8.0
> beta1" but with the resolution of 640x480, I don't get this white stain in the
> final image.

What I've found so far:
 - The artifact varies with the image size.  A 960x720 render leaves an
   oblong stain on the upper left vertex.
 - The artifact isn't completely absent with 640x480.  At 640x480, tiny
   white spots appear along the veins of the pentagram, but they are
   absent in a 3.7 render.  I presume that this means you did not put
   them there deliberately, and that they are related to the big heart-
   shaped stain.
 - 3.8 beta 2 does not solve the problem.

Post a reply to this message

> > I post a message here, because I get a weird render with povray 3.8.0 beta 1 of
> > a scene with the following resolution : 1280x960 (see attached image with this
> > message) , you can see a white stain that has the shape of a heart near the
> > pentagram. When I render this same scene with stable v3.7.0 the white stain
> > doesn't appear. And even weird, when I render this scene with povray "3.8.0
> > beta1" but with the resolution of 640x480, I don't get this white stain in the
> > final image.
>
> What I've found so far:
>  - The artifact varies with the image size.  A 960x720 render leaves an
>    oblong stain on the upper left vertex.
>  - The artifact isn't completely absent with 640x480.  At 640x480, tiny
>    white spots appear along the veins of the pentagram, but they are
>    absent in a 3.7 render.  I presume that this means you did not put
>    them there deliberately, and that they are related to the big heart-
>    shaped stain.
>  - 3.8 beta 2 does not solve the problem.

There are other things to consider:
- First off, set the boolean 'PlaceWell' (line 19 of main pov file) to false, to
get a faster rendering, the heart shape artifact being always there.
- Changing the minimum_reuse value from '0.015' to '0.01' make the 'heart shaped
artifact' to disappear, but the little white stains you talked about are there,
it seems.

Post a reply to this message

> Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>> On 2022-01-13 10:06 (-4), Warren wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I post a message here, because I get a weird render with povray 3.8.0 beta 1 of
>>> a scene with the following resolution : 1280x960 (see attached image with this
>>> message) , you can see a white stain that has the shape of a heart near the
>>> pentagram. When I render this same scene with stable v3.7.0 the white stain
>>> doesn't appear. And even weird, when I render this scene with povray "3.8.0
>>> beta1" but with the resolution of 640x480, I don't get this white stain in the
>>> final image.
>>
>> What I've found so far:
>>   - The artifact varies with the image size.  A 960x720 render leaves an
>>     oblong stain on the upper left vertex.
>>   - The artifact isn't completely absent with 640x480.  At 640x480, tiny
>>     white spots appear along the veins of the pentagram, but they are
>>     absent in a 3.7 render.  I presume that this means you did not put
>>     them there deliberately, and that they are related to the big heart-
>>     shaped stain.
>>   - 3.8 beta 2 does not solve the problem.
>
> There are other things to consider:
> - First off, set the boolean 'PlaceWell' (line 19 of main pov file) to false, to
> get a faster rendering, the heart shape artifact being always there.
> - Changing the minimum_reuse value from '0.015' to '0.01' make the 'heart shaped
> artifact' to disappear, but the little white stains you talked about are there,
> it seems.

The following might, or might not, be of help to you with official
versions of POV-Ray.

I took a quick look at at this bug with my current povr branch and found
along with some recent bounding code changes it got me to a more stable
fail for a bug I've been chasing for years. Details posted in the v4.0
group.

My povr branch is now considerably different than official POV-Ray
offerings, but after translating the pentagram up by 2x the thread
radius(a) I got away from the 'white regions.' I never saw the heart
shaped one - no idea why not in povr. Image attached.

(a) - Media needs clean start and stop intervals. Near coincident
shape/surfaces can cause confusion and leave intervals open - and with
emission media this results in extremely bright regions.

Where you had media I moved from min, max samples and interval
specifications to just 'samples 10'.

In many places you are using the srgb keyword with channel values
outside the 0-1 range. My povr branch doesn't allow this because any
'srgb calculation' outside the 0-1 range is wacky. See post elsewhere
for details. If you need values outside 0-1, use rgb to exactly specify
what you want for internal linear values.

includes/outdoorsLamp.inc -> debug statement line 218 uses LampZpos and
it should be LampZPos.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'image_povrtracefix.jpg' (105 KB)

Preview of image 'image_povrtracefix.jpg'
image_povrtracefix.jpg