POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9945627 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 04:48:01 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9945627 (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9945627
Date: 5 Dec 2018 22:37:06
Message: <5c089962$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/4/18 11:24 PM, clipka wrote:

> Commas are always optional, provided that this doesn't lead to ambiguity.

*gurgle* man I hate that.  I get it, but these little odd nuances make
it near impossible for someone else to write a parser.  SDL is a rough
enough language as it is...

--
dik
Rendered 1024 of 921600 pixels (0%)

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 6 Dec 2018 06:55:21
Message: <5c090e29$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.12.2018 um 04:37 schrieb dick balaska:
> On 12/4/18 11:24 PM, clipka wrote:
>

>> Commas are always optional, provided that this doesn't lead to ambiguity.
>>

> *gurgle* man I hate that.  I get it, but these little odd nuances make
> it near impossible for someone else to write a parser.  SDL is a rough
> enough language as it is...

You're telling me.

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 6 Dec 2018 08:05:01
Message: <web.5c091d9fb0fe7d71e43b71790@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Am 06.12.2018 um 04:37 schrieb dick balaska:
> > On 12/4/18 11:24 PM, clipka wrote:

(in earlier message)
> > while on punctuation,,  ...
> The examples are wrong - my bad. As a C++ programmer ...

cheers.

> >> Commas are always optional, provided that this doesn't lead to ambiguity.
> >>

> > *gurgle* man I hate that.  I get it, but these little odd nuances make
> > it near impossible for someone else to write a parser.  SDL is a rough
> > enough language as it is...
>
> You're telling me.

can you not use this opportunity to "shape" the future?  eg if you said from
version 3.9 or 3.10 the parser -- too lenient now -- will get "tightened", like
no more #declare without terminating semicolon, or even force ("nudge" ;-))
people into using commas consistently.  with the '#declare deprecated' you
already have a mechanism, no?

personally I'd like to see a '#pragma' keyword that would, among other things,
allow disabling certain parser warnings like "no object in scene", perhaps:
  #pragma disable_warning_*

or an enhanced #debug?  a real bugbear since I frequently have "scenes" that
only calculate or try something, ie without cameras, lights, and objects.

regards, jr.