POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9861167 Server Time
16 Apr 2024 05:12:59 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9861167 (Message 11 to 20 of 28)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: StephenS
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9861167 - Work_Threads
Date: 14 Oct 2018 16:26:34
Message: <5bc3a67a$1@news.povray.org>
On 2018-09-30 11:48 p.m., clipka wrote:
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-alpha.9861167

While not related to the updated features, this was the winpov64 I used.
Using a newer computer and going though some older scenes.

With no included Work_Threads, or commented out, Work_Threads

Render Time:
   Photon Time:      No photons
   Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
   Trace Time:       0 hours 22 minutes  9 seconds (1329.351 seconds)
               using 3 thread(s) with 3988.077 CPU-seconds total
POV-Ray finished
-
CPU time used: kernel 1.16 seconds, user 3992.17 seconds, total 3993.33
seconds.
Elapsed time 1331.39 seconds, CPU vs elapsed time ratio 3.00.
Render averaged 2433.55 PPS (811.35 PPS CPU time) over 3240000 pixels.

Adding:
Work_Threads = 32
To my .INI file gave me the following outputs.

Render Time:
   Photon Time:      No photons
   Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
   Trace Time:       0 hours  3 minutes 10 seconds (190.047 seconds)
               using 32 thread(s) with 6039.815 CPU-seconds total
POV-Ray finished
-
CPU time used: kernel 1.03 seconds, user 6043.08 seconds, total 6044.11
seconds.
Elapsed time 192.08 seconds, CPU vs elapsed time ratio 31.47.
Render averaged 16867.97 PPS (536.06 PPS CPU time) over 3240000 pixels.

Is there a default some where?

WinPov editor:
Render/Thread Count is set to 32

StephenS

Post a reply to this message

Am 14.10.2018 um 22:26 schrieb StephenS:

> While not related to the updated features, this was the winpov64 I used.
> Using a newer computer and going though some older scenes.
>

> With no included Work_Threads, or commented out, Work_Threads
>
> Render Time:
>   Photon Time:      No photons
>   Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
>   Trace Time:       0 hours 22 minutes  9 seconds (1329.351 seconds)
>               using 3 thread(s) with 3988.077 CPU-seconds total
> POV-Ray finished

> Is there a default some where?

Yes:

> WinPov editor:
> Render/Thread Count is set to 32

To the best of my knowledge, the mechanism in POV-Ray for Windows is as
follows:

- The number of threads set in the "Render Thread Count" dialog is the
default for each render.

- Any change you make in the dialog is only valid for the current
session; if you close POV-Ray and re-start it, the dialog is
re-populated with the number of cores as reported by the operating system.

- Any `+wtN`, `-wtN` or `Work_Threads=N` in any applicable INI file will
override this setting.

- Any `+wtN`, `-wtN` or `Work_Threads=N` specified in the so-called
"command line" inut field will also override this setting.

- Any `+wtN`, `-wtN` or `Work_Threads=N` passed to the POV-Ray
executable as an actual command line parameter should also affect the
setting, though I'm not sure whether it will change the value in the
dialog or be equivalent to setting it in an INI file. My guess is the
latter.

Obviously the "Render Thread Count" dialog is not initialized to 3 in
your case, so the core count auto-detection works fine, and there must
be /something/ overridding the default.

The master `povray.ini` as well as any `povray.ini` in the same
directory as the scen come to mind.

Post a reply to this message