POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : SUGGESTION: Hollow 0.05 Server Time
2 May 2024 07:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  SUGGESTION: Hollow 0.05 (Message 20 to 21 of 21)
From: MessyBlob
Subject: Re: SUGGESTION: Hollow 0.05
Date: 29 Nov 2018 14:00:01
Message: <web.5c0035c1627182d0d691ab270@news.povray.org>

> > ... and the reason you're having trouble with this use case is pretty
> > much the same reason why that suggested feature would be darn difficult
> > to implement as well.
>
> Right.
> A first step towards a solution would essentially accomplish an efficient
> meshification of the object - which may be what Sven might want to play with.
>
> Then you'd translate the points along the normal vector to expand/shrink the
> object as a 3D offset-curve.
>
> NOT trivial.

If you can make an isosurface out of it, then it's possible to make an 'offset
surface' general solution, which can be combined with CSG to create the skin.
Caveat: it might be slow to render, especially if you're using several 'power'
functions for smooth transitions.

Post a reply to this message

> If you can make an isosurface out of it, then it's possible to make an 'offset
> surface' general solution, which can be combined with CSG to create the skin.
> Caveat: it might be slow to render, especially if you're using several 'power'
> functions for smooth transitions.

In order to have a "general" solution - you'd have to process what to do with
the offset result of convex regions.
And I can assure you that's not trivial.