POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:04:23 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209 (Message 25 to 34 of 34)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209
Date: 1 Oct 2017 04:13:36
Message: <59d0a3b0@news.povray.org>
Am 01.10.2017 um 02:07 schrieb Jim Holsenback:
> On 9/21/2017 3:10 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Be advised that this binary-only release wants to reside in an existing
>> v3.7.x installation.
>
> nix is working oh-key-dokey fine however doze has an issue ... binary in
> v3.7.1 install directory but help buttons for POV-Win and Scene aren't
> working

Yes, that's a known issue: v3.8 can't load the v3.7 help file.

To work around this, download the help file directly from the
`release/v3.8.0` branch, and copy it into the v3.7 install's `help`
directory.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 01.10.2017 um 02:07 schrieb Jim Holsenback:
>> On 9/21/2017 3:10 PM, clipka wrote:
>>> Be advised that this binary-only release wants to reside in an existing
>>> v3.7.x installation.
>>
>> nix is working oh-key-dokey fine however doze has an issue ... binary in
>> v3.7.1 install directory but help buttons for POV-Win and Scene aren't
>> working
>
> Yes, that's a known issue: v3.8 can't load the v3.7 help file.
>
> To work around this, download the help file directly from the
> `release/v3.8.0` branch, and copy it into the v3.7 install's `help`
> directory.

copied as is and when that didn't work went through several renaming
incantations with no joy

Post a reply to this message

Am 02.10.2017 um 11:20 schrieb Jim Holsenback:
> On 10/1/2017 4:13 AM, clipka wrote:
>>>
>>> nix is working oh-key-dokey fine however doze has an issue ... binary in
>>> v3.7.1 install directory but help buttons for POV-Win and Scene aren't
>>> working
>>
>> Yes, that's a known issue: v3.8 can't load the v3.7 help file.
>>
>> To work around this, download the help file directly from the
>> `release/v3.8.0` branch, and copy it into the v3.7 install's `help`
>> directory.
>>

> copied as is and when that didn't work went through several renaming
> incantations with no joy

Presuming your v3.7 installation and the v3.8.0-alpha binary reside in
`C:\Program Files\POV-Ray\v3.7`, then the v3.8 help file
(`distribution\platform-specific\windows\Help\povray.chm` in the repo)
should work fine when dropped in as `C:\Program
Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\help\povray.chm`.

Note that v3.8.0-alpha always looks for its help file in your v3.7
(release proper, i.e. v3.7.0, or RC, i.e. v3.7.1-rc.1) installation
directory tree, regardless of where you place the v3.8.0-alpha binary.
Most notably, if you accidently placed the v3.8.0-alpha binary in a
v3.7-beta installation (e.g. v3.7.1-beta.9), it will still try to load
the help file from wherever your v3.7 proper installation resides.

Also note that the help file must be named `povray.chm` (as in the
`release/v3.8.0` branch), /not/ `povray37.chm` (as still in the master
branch, IIRC).

Post a reply to this message

> Presuming your v3.7 installation and the v3.8.0-alpha binary reside in
> `C:\Program Files\POV-Ray\v3.7`, then the v3.8 help file
> (`distribution\platform-specific\windows\Help\povray.chm` in the repo)
> should work fine when dropped in as `C:\Program
> Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\help\povray.chm`.
>
> Note that v3.8.0-alpha always looks for its help file in your v3.7
> (release proper, i.e. v3.7.0, or RC, i.e. v3.7.1-rc.1) installation
> directory tree, regardless of where you place the v3.8.0-alpha binary.
> Most notably, if you accidently placed the v3.8.0-alpha binary in a
> v3.7-beta installation (e.g. v3.7.1-beta.9), it will still try to load
> the help file from wherever your v3.7 proper installation resides.
>
> Also note that the help file must be named `povray.chm` (as in the
> `release/v3.8.0` branch), /not/ `povray37.chm` (as still in the master
> branch, IIRC).

well i uninstalled 3.7.1 beta and put the pvengine64 into my remaining
3.7.0 bin directory and povray.chm into help directory. now the help
buttons work but all i get is the left pane and none of the links are
clickable ... not that big of an issue for /me/ because i prefer the
html version

Post a reply to this message

Am 04.10.2017 um 14:20 schrieb Jim Holsenback:

> well i uninstalled 3.7.1 beta and put the pvengine64 into my remaining
> 3.7.0 bin directory and povray.chm into help directory. now the help
> buttons work but all i get is the left pane and none of the links are
> clickable ... not that big of an issue for /me/ because i prefer the
> html version

Now that's odd... can anyone confirm?

Post a reply to this message

> Am 04.10.2017 um 14:20 schrieb Jim Holsenback:
>
> > well i uninstalled 3.7.1 beta and put the pvengine64 into my remaining
> > 3.7.0 bin directory and povray.chm into help directory. now the help
> > buttons work but all i get is the left pane and none of the links are
> > clickable ... not that big of an issue for /me/ because i prefer the
> > html version
>
> Now that's odd... can anyone confirm?

Same thing here. Before I was going to say anything I was trying a few things to
see if I could get it to work, such as trying to default to Internet Explorer
rather than Windows 10 Edge.

I used the direct link to the Help file you provided, although I had gotten that
file from github before that and it was the same way but there were two
different byte sizes for the files.

Install directory is actually 3.7.0, not just 3.7 so I can only wonder if that
has anything to do with this.

Post a reply to this message

"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> > Am 04.10.2017 um 14:20 schrieb Jim Holsenback:
> >
> > > well i uninstalled 3.7.1 beta and put the pvengine64 into my remaining
> > > 3.7.0 bin directory and povray.chm into help directory. now the help
> > > buttons work but all i get is the left pane and none of the links are
> > > clickable ... not that big of an issue for /me/ because i prefer the
> > > html version
> >
> > Now that's odd... can anyone confirm?
>
> Same thing here. Before I was going to say anything I was trying a few things to
> see if I could get it to work, such as trying to default to Internet Explorer
> rather than Windows 10 Edge.
>
> I used the direct link to the Help file you provided, although I had gotten that
> file from github before that and it was the same way but there were two
> different byte sizes for the files.
>
> Install directory is actually 3.7.0, not just 3.7 so I can only wonder if that
> has anything to do with this.

Have now tried something else. Right-click on povray.chm and go into Properties.
Under General tab is checkbox "unblock". That was a suggested fix I found on the
'net about these chm help files.

Get message when attempting that: "Too many posts were made to semaphore".

When button for Ignore is pressed, or Ignore All, nothing changes regarding
empty contents of the help file when opened next time.

Maybe this will make sense, all I know about it is what I find on the 'net and I
guess this is supposed to be about multiple calls to places within the file
going wrong somehow.

Post a reply to this message