POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Sounds Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Sounds (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Sounds
Date: 31 Mar 2017 08:52:38
Message: <58de5116$1@news.povray.org>
I cannot hear any sounds since I installed the new beta. Where do I turn
them on?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Sounds
Date: 31 Mar 2017 08:53:33
Message: <58de514d$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/31/2017 8:53 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> I cannot hear any sounds since I installed the new beta. Where do I turn
> them on?
>

> Mike

The sounds settings dialog says all three .wav files are turned on, but
I don't hear anything.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 31 Mar 2017 09:26:11
Message: <58de58f3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.03.2017 um 14:54 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 3/31/2017 8:53 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> I cannot hear any sounds since I installed the new beta. Where do I turn
>> them on?
>>

>> Mike
>

> The sounds settings dialog says all three .wav files are turned on, but
> I don't hear anything.

POV-Ray 3.7.1 no longer comes with custom sounds.

Post a reply to this message

Am 2017-03-31 09:26, also sprach clipka:
> Am 31.03.2017 um 14:54 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> On 3/31/2017 8:53 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> I cannot hear any sounds since I installed the new beta. Where do I turn
>>> them on?
>>>

>>> Mike
>>

>> The sounds settings dialog says all three .wav files are turned on, but
>> I don't hear anything.
>
> POV-Ray 3.7.1 no longer comes with custom sounds.

Huh. Was there a reason for that? (After my first render, I immediately
turn the sounds off, but it seems a popular feature.)

--
dik

Post a reply to this message

Am 31.03.2017 um 21:56 schrieb dick balaska:
> Am 2017-03-31 09:26, also sprach clipka:

>>> The sounds settings dialog says all three .wav files are turned on, but
>>> I don't hear anything.
>>
>> POV-Ray 3.7.1 no longer comes with custom sounds.
>>

> Huh. Was there a reason for that? (After my first render, I immediately
> turn the sounds off, but it seems a popular feature.)

There was a reason indeed. Not even nearly as compelling though as the
fact (which I noticed only yesterday) that POV-Ray for Windows isn't
designed to allow for choosing one of those standard Windows sounds
instead. So either we'll have to change the POV-Ray GUI accordingly, or
bring back the sound files.

Given that I'm not fond of putting any more effort into that old GUI, I
guess the choice is a no-brainer...

(We also ditched the background tiles for the message pane, but I don't
really expect anyone to miss /those/.)

Post a reply to this message

> (We also ditched the background tiles for the message pane, but I don't
> really expect anyone to miss /those/.)

Flashing polka dots would have been fine, thank you very much. But I
assume I am alone on this ;-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Am 31.03.2017 um 21:56 schrieb dick balaska:

>>> POV-Ray 3.7.1 no longer comes with custom sounds.
>>>

>> Huh. Was there a reason for that? (After my first render, I immediately
>> turn the sounds off, but it seems a popular feature.)

I do the same, but immediatelly after installing and before my first render.

> There was a reason indeed. Not even nearly as compelling though as the
> fact (which I noticed only yesterday) that POV-Ray for Windows isn't
> designed to allow for choosing one of those standard Windows sounds
> instead. So either we'll have to change the POV-Ray GUI accordingly, or
> bring back the sound files.
>
> Given that I'm not fond of putting any more effort into that old GUI, I
> guess the choice is a no-brainer...
>

> (We also ditched the background tiles for the message pane, but I don't
> really expect anyone to miss /those/.)

Message pane background tiles? What background tiles?
Frankly, I did play with them, and quickly restored the default background.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 5 Apr 2017 14:02:58
Message: <58e53152$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/31/2017 9:26 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 31.03.2017 um 14:54 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> On 3/31/2017 8:53 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> I cannot hear any sounds since I installed the new beta. Where do I turn
>>> them on?
>>>

>>> Mike
>>

>> The sounds settings dialog says all three .wav files are turned on, but
>> I don't hear anything.
>
> POV-Ray 3.7.1 no longer comes with custom sounds.

Can i supply my own sounds, and will they work?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 5 Apr 2017 14:18:36
Message: <58e534fc$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/5/2017 7:03 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 3/31/2017 9:26 AM, clipka wrote:

>>> The sounds settings dialog says all three .wav files are turned on, but
>>> I don't hear anything.
>>
>> POV-Ray 3.7.1 no longer comes with custom sounds.
>>

> Can i supply my own sounds, and will they work?

They should they did for me when I tried.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 5 Apr 2017 14:58:34
Message: <58e53e5a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.04.2017 um 20:03 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 3/31/2017 9:26 AM, clipka wrote:

>>> The sounds settings dialog says all three .wav files are turned on, but
>>> I don't hear anything.
>>
>> POV-Ray 3.7.1 no longer comes with custom sounds.
>>

> Can i supply my own sounds, and will they work?

I suspect modern .mp3 files won't do, but if you convert them to good
old-fashioned .wav format you should be fine.