POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : beta.3 and ./ and ../ weirdness Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  beta.3 and ./ and ../ weirdness (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: dick balaska
Subject: beta.3 and ./ and ../ weirdness
Date: 19 Feb 2017 20:33:09
Message: <58aa4755$1@news.povray.org>
I was going to whip off some frames from a project development directory
and beta.3 tells me

File 'reeferMagnets.inc' line 169: Possible Parse Error: Cannot find file
  '../../ttCommon/ariali.ttf', even after trying to append file type
extension.
File 'reeferMagnets.inc' line 169: Possible Parse Error: Cannot open
font file.

alpha-8451792 renders this fine.

relevant code:
  36	#declare TtCommonDir="../../ttCommon/";
141	#declare ArialiFont=concat(TtCommonDir, "ariali.ttf");
165	text {
166		ttf ArialiFont
167		"Hi mom"
168		0.15,0
169		scale 3.6
170		translate <31*inches,36*inches,0>
171		pigment {Black}
172	}

I also see that "./subdir/include.inc" also fails.  I didn't notice this
last night, because I had changed the prefix directory to "" instead of
"./" .

This is weird, my farm has run 100 frames on beta.3 and my production
code contains "../ttCommon/ariali.ttf" (one level back).

I thought I'd create a 3 file tar demonstrating this, except it doesn't
fail.

This renders fine:
#declare dir="../../";
#include concat(dir, "include.inc")

So, I'm still confused. Schrödinger's bug: it's both broken and not broken.
--
dik

Post a reply to this message

On 02/19/2017 08:33 PM, dick balaska wrote:
> I was going to whip off some frames from a project development directory
> and beta.3 tells me
>
> File 'reeferMagnets.inc' line 169: Possible Parse Error: Cannot find file
>  '../../ttCommon/ariali.ttf', even after trying to append file type
> extension.
> File 'reeferMagnets.inc' line 169: Possible Parse Error: Cannot open
> font file.
>
> alpha-8451792 renders this fine.
>
> relevant code:
>  36    #declare TtCommonDir="../../ttCommon/";
> 141    #declare ArialiFont=concat(TtCommonDir, "ariali.ttf");
> 165    text {
> 166        ttf ArialiFont
> 167        "Hi mom"
> 168        0.15,0
> 169        scale 3.6
> 170        translate <31*inches,36*inches,0>
> 171        pigment {Black}
> 172    }
>

> I also see that "./subdir/include.inc" also fails.  I didn't notice this
> last night, because I had changed the prefix directory to "" instead of
> "./" .
>
> This is weird, my farm has run 100 frames on beta.3 and my production
> code contains "../ttCommon/ariali.ttf" (one level back).
>
> I thought I'd create a 3 file tar demonstrating this, except it doesn't
> fail.
>
> This renders fine:
> #declare dir="../../";
> #include concat(dir, "include.inc")
>
> So, I'm still confused. Schrödinger's bug: it's both broken and not broken.

Windows, linux or both OSs showing the hard "./subdir/include.inc"
fails? Can you get to a small test case for this one?

Windows, linux or both OSs showing the flaky "../../ttCommon" behavior?

Thanks.
Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Am 20.02.2017 um 02:33 schrieb dick balaska:

> File 'reeferMagnets.inc' line 169: Possible Parse Error: Cannot find file
>  '../../ttCommon/ariali.ttf', even after trying to append file type
> extension.
> File 'reeferMagnets.inc' line 169: Possible Parse Error: Cannot open
> font file.

I figured out where this comes from...

> I also see that "./subdir/include.inc" also fails.  I didn't notice this
> last night, because I had changed the prefix directory to "" instead of
> "./" .

... but this is puzzling me, because I know I've fixed it in commit
9cf8a79 (2017-02-16). Can you please double-check this one? Otherwise I
would have to wonder whether the beta.3 installer really contains what's
tagged as beta.3 on GitHub.

> This is weird, my farm has run 100 frames on beta.3 and my production
> code contains "../ttCommon/ariali.ttf" (one level back).

The problem only arises with relative paths that effectively go two
levels up (or more) from whatever is considered the base directory at
that point.

> I thought I'd create a 3 file tar demonstrating this, except it doesn't
> fail.
>
> This renders fine:
> #declare dir="../../";
> #include concat(dir, "include.inc")

Let me guess: There also happens to be an "include.inc" in the current
directory?

Also, just for clarity: Am I right in assuming that this all happens
only on the Windows machine?

> So, I'm still confused. Schrödinger's bug: it's both broken and not broken.

We'll see whether it can be explained with a hidden variables theory.

Post a reply to this message

Am 2017-02-22 15:48, also sprach clipka:
> Am 20.02.2017 um 02:33 schrieb dick balaska:
>
>> File 'reeferMagnets.inc' line 169: Possible Parse Error: Cannot find file
>>  '../../ttCommon/ariali.ttf', even after trying to append file type
>> extension.
>> File 'reeferMagnets.inc' line 169: Possible Parse Error: Cannot open
>> font file.
>
> I figured out where this comes from...

Yay. For a minute I thought it was another manifestation of the stack
woes, what with the broken/not broken behavior.

>> I also see that "./subdir/include.inc" also fails.  I didn't notice this
>> last night, because I had changed the prefix directory to "" instead of
>> "./" .
>
> ... but this is puzzling me, because I know I've fixed it in commit
> 9cf8a79 (2017-02-16). Can you please double-check this one? Otherwise I
> would have to wonder whether the beta.3 installer really contains what's
> tagged as beta.3 on GitHub.

povconsole64-9cf8a79.exe fails.
povconsole64-63e9b8ad.exe works. (The 2017-02-22 location of
origin/release/v3.7.1)

Oh wait. I meant "../../" works. Re-reading before pressing send, I see
you meant specifically "./" .  Let me re-check...

Yes, "./" works on 9cf8a79 on povconsole64.  I'm not sure what I was
looking at the other day.  "./" also works inside of your built povwin
beta.3 .
I could have sworn I saw it fail there.  I blame pebkac.

>> I thought I'd create a 3 file tar demonstrating this, except it doesn't
>> fail.
>>
>> This renders fine:
>> #declare dir="../../";
>> #include concat(dir, "include.inc")
>
> Let me guess: There also happens to be an "include.inc" in the current
> directory?

Nah, "3 files"  ttfail.ini, ttfail.pov, and ../../subdir/include.inc
(I thought maybe 'down 2 and up 1')
I also tried it with a .ttf .

I was shocked it worked. I thought I was going to have to do the "start
with the whole project and prune away everything" thing again.

> Also, just for clarity: Am I right in assuming that this all happens
> only on the Windows machine?

"only" is a strong word.

My preferred geek workflow is to develop on Windows and deploy on Linux.
I can run eclipse (povclipse, c++) on Ubuntu, but under the cygwin/x
server, it looks poopy. (kbreakout looks/plays great, though ;) )

I just tried it on Linux.  "./" and "../../" work on beta.3 .

--
dik

Post a reply to this message