POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Installing Windows beta.3 Server Time: 27 Jul 2017 22:46:40 GMT
  Installing Windows beta.3 (Message 1 to 5 of 5)  
From: dick balaska
Subject: Installing Windows beta.3
Date: 19 Feb 2017 22:45:51
Message: <58aa201f$1@news.povray.org>
I installed your beta.3 installer.
I got this weird Win 8 full screen dialog that said "I prevented this 
dangerous app from running". I've never seen that screen. beta.2 doesn't 
make that screen. (Perhaps some evil CRC?)
The second time I tried, I noticed an undecorated link "More Info" where 
it let me run it anyway. (buttons are so passé)

The installer said it was going to uninstall povray3.7 from my box. I 
wasn't sure if that was broken wording for "3.7.1-beta.2" or if it 
really meant "3.7".  So I aborted and uninstalled beta.2 first.  It 
didn't threaten to uninstall the next go around.

It installed fine and is working well.

-- 
dik


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Installing Windows beta.3
Date: 20 Feb 2017 17:07:28
Message: <58ab2250$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.02.2017 um 23:45 schrieb dick balaska:
> I installed your beta.3 installer.
> I got this weird Win 8 full screen dialog that said "I prevented this
> dangerous app from running". I've never seen that screen. beta.2 doesn't
> make that screen. (Perhaps some evil CRC?)
> The second time I tried, I noticed an undecorated link "More Info" where
> it let me run it anyway. (buttons are so passé)

Curiously enough, my Kaspersky anti-virus software (more specifically
its "activity monitor") also starts to get uneasy when I execute the
installer; and in contrast to Windows 8's inbuilt thing, it goes so far
as to abort the installer and roll back all its changes, /without/
giving me an opportunity to intervene.

According to VirusTotal, the majority of virus scanners finds nothing
wrong with the installer, except for three products that report
something that looks like heuristic noise.

I've notified Kaspersky of the issue; let's see what their experts make
of it.

> The installer said it was going to uninstall povray3.7 from my box. I
> wasn't sure if that was broken wording for "3.7.1-beta.2" or if it
> really meant "3.7".  So I aborted and uninstalled beta.2 first.  It
> didn't threaten to uninstall the next go around.

I think that's referring to povray 3.7.1-beta.2 ("3.7" being shorthand
for "3.7.anything" - though I definitely agree that it would be more
reassuring if it said "3.7-beta"), but I can't verify, thanks to my
virus scanner crying wolf.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Installing Windows beta.3
Date: 24 Feb 2017 15:13:11
Message: <58b04d87@news.povray.org>
Am 20.02.2017 um 18:07 schrieb clipka:
> Am 19.02.2017 um 23:45 schrieb dick balaska:
>> I installed your beta.3 installer.
>> I got this weird Win 8 full screen dialog that said "I prevented this
>> dangerous app from running". I've never seen that screen. beta.2 doesn't
>> make that screen. (Perhaps some evil CRC?)
>> The second time I tried, I noticed an undecorated link "More Info" where
>> it let me run it anyway. (buttons are so passé)
...
> I've notified Kaspersky of the issue; let's see what their experts make
> of it.

For the records: Kaspersky Labs just confirmed this as a false positive,
and have promised to provide a corresponding update to their software
within about 48 hours.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Installing Windows beta.3
Date: 27 Feb 2017 13:10:04
Message: <58b4252c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.02.2017 um 23:45 schrieb dick balaska:

> The installer said it was going to uninstall povray3.7 from my box. I
> wasn't sure if that was broken wording for "3.7.1-beta.2" or if it
> really meant "3.7".  So I aborted and uninstalled beta.2 first.  It
> didn't threaten to uninstall the next go around.

I presume what the installer threatened to uninstall was "POV-Ray for
Windows", without even so much as a version number.

This will be clarified in the installer for the next beta, which will
explicitly threaten to uninstall "POV-Ray for Windows 3.7-beta".


Post a reply to this message

From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: Installing Windows beta.3
Date: 27 Feb 2017 13:40:19
Message: <58b42c43$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2017-02-27 08:10, also sprach clipka:
> Am 19.02.2017 um 23:45 schrieb dick balaska:
>
>> The installer said it was going to uninstall povray3.7 from my box. I
>> wasn't sure if that was broken wording for "3.7.1-beta.2" or if it
>> really meant "3.7".  So I aborted and uninstalled beta.2 first.  It
>> didn't threaten to uninstall the next go around.
>
> I presume what the installer threatened to uninstall was "POV-Ray for
> Windows", without even so much as a version number.
>
> This will be clarified in the installer for the next beta, which will
> explicitly threaten to uninstall "POV-Ray for Windows 3.7-beta".
>

You are correct. "A copy of POV-Ray for Windows is currently installed. 
Remove it before proceeding?" (Yes/No/Cancel)

-- 
dik


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.