POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows console anecdotal slowness Server Time: 30 Mar 2017 08:52:48 GMT
  Windows console anecdotal slowness (Message 1 to 3 of 3)  
From: dick balaska
Subject: Windows console anecdotal slowness
Date: 7 Feb 2017 00:50:18
Message: <589919ca$1@news.povray.org>
I upgraded my renderfarm from 3.7.1-alpha to 3.7.1-beta.3
and I'm seeing some odd rendertimes.

( http://www.buckosoft.com/bsac/meta/
click on the "Servers" tab)

Often, my 8-thread windows i7 runs almost twice as fast as my 4-core 
Linux i5.  Minimally, it is about 20% faster.  (The Total FPH column)

But with this build, I'm seeing an extreme slowdown with the Windows 
console version.  It is running at half the speed of my i5!. (The Cur 
FPH column).

These numbers can only be viewed as relative to each other.
Also interestingly, my Ubuntu 16 box is "faster" than its average while 
my other 3 Ubuntu 14 boxes are "slower" than their average.  I would 
expect them to all weight the same against their average.

After this job is done (adding BorderChars to the credits of my 
animation) I will go back and run some timed tests on the different 
versions.

The Windows box *is* running flat out, pegging my CPU, with 
povconsole64.exe averaging 95.96% of total CPU time of my system. 
(Watching the Super Bowl ate some CPU ;) )

-- 
dik


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Windows console anecdotal slowness
Date: 7 Feb 2017 15:37:44
Message: <5899e9c8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.02.2017 um 01:50 schrieb dick balaska:
> I upgraded my renderfarm from 3.7.1-alpha to 3.7.1-beta.3
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please make sure to only build from tagged versions. Any other versions
may claim to be something different than they actually are (as is
currently the case for the newest code in "release/v3.7.1") or identify
with a hopelessly ambiguous version name (as is the case for many of the
revisions in "master").

Otherwise we are very limited in what support we can provide, as there's
no way we can reliably identify the versions you are referencing.


> and I'm seeing some odd rendertimes.
> 
> ( http://www.buckosoft.com/bsac/meta/
> click on the "Servers" tab)
> 
> Often, my 8-thread windows i7 runs almost twice as fast as my 4-core
> Linux i5.  Minimally, it is about 20% faster.  (The Total FPH column)
> 
> But with this build, I'm seeing an extreme slowdown with the Windows
> console version.  It is running at half the speed of my i5!. (The Cur
> FPH column).

Was the Windows version you used earlier on the i7 also a console
version (which you presumably must have built yourself), or was it an
official GUI version?

In case of the latter, what version of Visual Studio did you use to
build the beta console version?

We are currently aware of speed differences between builds created with
VS2010 and builds created with VS2015 (the latter being faster); the
official alpha builds were typically created using VS2015. Also, the
project settings for the console version may not have the same
optimization settings enabled as the official GUI version, which might
result in the console version being generally slower than the GUI version.


> These numbers can only be viewed as relative to each other.
> Also interestingly, my Ubuntu 16 box is "faster" than its average while
> my other 3 Ubuntu 14 boxes are "slower" than their average.  I would
> expect them to all weight the same against their average.

I don't see what you mean. What I see is "Cur FPH" being lower than
"Total FPH" for all five machines.


Post a reply to this message

From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: Windows console anecdotal slowness
Date: 8 Feb 2017 00:56:41
Message: <589a6cc9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2017-02-07 10:37, also sprach clipka:
> Am 07.02.2017 um 01:50 schrieb dick balaska:
>> I upgraded my renderfarm from 3.7.1-alpha to 3.7.1-beta.3
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

The alphas were tagged versions.  I'm not sure why I was directed to 
beta.3, it looks like you haven't released that yet.

I ran these two alphas a lot.

./povconsole64-8615129.exe
Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 
3.7.1-alpha.8615129.unofficial.msvc14.win64.
This is an unofficial version compiled by:
  Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom>

  ./povconsole64-8353331.exe
Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 
3.7.1-alpha.8353331.unofficial.msvc14.win64.
This is an unofficial version compiled by:
  Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom>

and now the beta:

  ./povconsole64.exe
Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 
3.7.1-beta.3.unofficial+msvc14.win64.
This is an unofficial version compiled by:
  Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom>

> Please make sure to only build from tagged versions.

Yes sir.

>
> In case of the latter, what version of Visual Studio did you use to
> build the beta console version?

All windows versions were built with VS15 Community Edition.

>
> I don't see what you mean. What I see is "Cur FPH" being lower than
> "Total FPH" for all five machines.
>

Ignore that red herring. The only take away is that where previously my 
Windows i7 was the fastest machine, now it is slower than all of my 
Linux i5s. (It *is* still faster than my Celeron :) :( )

I will do some proper tests.

-- 
dik


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.