POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta version waking my computer from sleep Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:49:46 EDT (-0400)
  Beta version waking my computer from sleep (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Beta version waking my computer from sleep
Date: 1 Dec 2016 20:05:20
Message: <5840c8d0$1@news.povray.org>
I tracked down the cause of my computer waking up from sleep to some
sort of wake timer in Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version
3.7.1-x.knockout.8881807+av294.msvc14.

Why does it do this? How do I make it stop?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 02.12.2016 um 02:05 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> I tracked down the cause of my computer waking up from sleep to some
> sort of wake timer in Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version
> 3.7.1-x.knockout.8881807+av294.msvc14.
>
> Why does it do this? How do I make it stop?

My guess would be that it must be something that had already been
present in 3.7.0 stable - maybe even 3.6.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 02.12.2016 um 02:05 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> I tracked down the cause of my computer waking up from sleep to some
>> sort of wake timer in Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version
>> 3.7.1-x.knockout.8881807+av294.msvc14.
>>
>> Why does it do this? How do I make it stop?
>
> My guess would be that it must be something that had already been
> present in 3.7.0 stable - maybe even 3.6.

BTW, can you name the typical duration after which POV-Ray wakes up your
computer? That could be helpful in identifying the mechanism by which
that happens.

Post a reply to this message

Am 02.12.2016 um 02:05 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> I tracked down the cause of my computer waking up from sleep to some
> sort of wake timer in Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version
> 3.7.1-x.knockout.8881807+av294.msvc14.
>
> Why does it do this? How do I make it stop?

Obvious things first: Did you uncheck the "Render | Prevent Sleep" setting?

Post a reply to this message

> Am 02.12.2016 um 02:05 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> I tracked down the cause of my computer waking up from sleep to some
>> sort of wake timer in Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version
>> 3.7.1-x.knockout.8881807+av294.msvc14.
>>
>> Why does it do this? How do I make it stop?
>
> Obvious things first: Did you uncheck the "Render | Prevent Sleep" setting?

I just unchecked it and will try again in a few minutes.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

>> Am 02.12.2016 um 02:05 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>> I tracked down the cause of my computer waking up from sleep to some
>>> sort of wake timer in Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version
>>> 3.7.1-x.knockout.8881807+av294.msvc14.
>>>
>>> Why does it do this? How do I make it stop?
>>
>> My guess would be that it must be something that had already been
>> present in 3.7.0 stable - maybe even 3.6.
>
> BTW, can you name the typical duration after which POV-Ray wakes up your
> computer? That could be helpful in identifying the mechanism by which
> that happens.

Less than 5 minutes.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 12/2/2016 10:14 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 12/1/2016 10:43 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 02.12.2016 um 02:05 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>> I tracked down the cause of my computer waking up from sleep to some
>>> sort of wake timer in Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version
>>> 3.7.1-x.knockout.8881807+av294.msvc14.
>>>
>>> Why does it do this? How do I make it stop?
>>
>> Obvious things first: Did you uncheck the "Render | Prevent Sleep"
>> setting?
>>

> I just unchecked it and will try again in a few minutes.
>
> Mike

The problem persists even with the setting unchecked. I had to close the
application completely.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 02.12.2016 um 18:45 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 12/2/2016 10:14 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:

>>> Obvious things first: Did you uncheck the "Render | Prevent Sleep"
>>> setting?
>>>

>> I just unchecked it and will try again in a few minutes.
>>
>> Mike
>
> The problem persists even with the setting unchecked. I had to close the
> application completely.

- What exactly is the "sleep" mode that's being interrupted?
- What are your power management settings?

Also, can you please check whether the issue is also present with 3.7.0
stable?

Post a reply to this message

> Am 02.12.2016 um 18:45 schrieb Mike Horvath:

>>> I just unchecked it and will try again in a few minutes.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> The problem persists even with the setting unchecked. I had to close the
>> application completely.
>
> - What exactly is the "sleep" mode that's being interrupted?
> - What are your power management settings?

Windows 7. "Sleep" button in Start menu. "High Performance" power plan.
Computer is not set up to turn off automatically. Only manually.

http://imgur.com/fKaDedQ

> Also, can you please check whether the issue is also present with 3.7.0
> stable?

It only started happening after I installed the beta last month. Before
that I was using 3.7.0 for several months or years.

One thing to note: I had an older beta installed for a couple of hours
before I realized I wanted the newer beta. Can't remember what version
that was.

Mike

Post a reply to this message