POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Texture testing needed Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:35:14 EDT (-0400)
  Texture testing needed (Message 11 to 20 of 43)
From: Mr
Subject: Re: Texture testing needed
Date: 11 Aug 2016 10:00:01
Message: <web.57ac84906eb040d516086ed00@news.povray.org>
> Folks,
>
> I have a special development version that needs exhaustive testing of
> complex textures, so if you have a scene that uses wild combinations of
> the following features (and you happen to be using Unix), it would be
> greatly appreciated if you could give it a shot:
>
> - patterned textures
> - material_map
> - layered textures
> - overriding the texture of objects
> - non-canonical syntax to define textures (e.g specifying `pigment`
> directly on an object)
> - any other texture-related stuff you can think of
>
> The version in question can be found here:
>
>   https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/tree/refactor/texture
>
> (source code only at this time)
>
> Also, I expect more follow-up versions to be coming, so I might ask you
> to re-test with the same scenes later.

There is one test file I use for quick regression tests in the wiki:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray#Test_files:

direct link to file :
https://wiki.blender.org/uploads/1/14/Regression_and_test_blendfiles.zip

it's in the TexturesTest folder once unzipped.
Using Blender Pov Exporter exports a complex setup with the "finish map"  trick
for specular map , uses an alpha, normal map and diffuse. But no material_map if
i remember correctly.

Post a reply to this message

> > I have a special development version that needs exhaustive testing of
> > complex textures, so if you have a scene that uses wild combinations of
> > the following features (and you happen to be using Unix), it would be
> > greatly appreciated if you could give it a shot:
> >
> > - patterned textures
> > - material_map
> > - layered textures
> > - overriding the texture of objects
> > - non-canonical syntax to define textures (e.g specifying `pigment`
> > directly on an object)
> > - any other texture-related stuff you can think of
> >
> > The version in question can be found here:
> >
> >   https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/tree/refactor/texture
> >
> > (source code only at this time)
> >
> > Also, I expect more follow-up versions to be coming, so I might ask you
> > to re-test with the same scenes later.
>
> There is one test file I use for quick regression tests in the wiki:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray#Test_files:
>
> direct link to file :
> https://wiki.blender.org/uploads/1/14/Regression_and_test_blendfiles.zip
>
> it's in the TexturesTest folder once unzipped.
> Using Blender Pov Exporter exports a complex setup with the "finish map"  trick
> for specular map , uses an alpha, normal map and diffuse. But no material_map if
> i remember correctly.

I forgot to mention that I'm on windows without a building setup.

Post a reply to this message

My system allows nodes make the most insane texture

Post a reply to this message

> My system allows nodes make the most insane texture

Look BlendPov-alternative: screenshots

Post a reply to this message

>> My system allows nodes make the most insane texture
>

> Look BlendPov-alternative: screenshots

Thanks!
Did you compare the results of the development version with those of
POV-Ray 3.7.0?

Post a reply to this message

> Did you compare the results of the development version with those of
> POV-Ray 3.7.0?

If you expect the time difference, then it does not exist.
Povray-3.7.0:
first test: 53 sec
second test: 49 sec

Povray-dev:
50 sec (screenshot)
second test: 52 sec

Post a reply to this message

>> Did you compare the results of the development version with those of
>> POV-Ray 3.7.0?
>
> If you expect the time difference, then it does not exist.

No, I was refering to the render output: Are the resulting images the same?

If not, that would be bad news.

Post a reply to this message

> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Did you compare the results of the development version with those of
> >> POV-Ray 3.7.0?
> >
> > If you expect the time difference, then it does not exist.
>
> No, I was refering to the render output: Are the resulting images the same?
>
> If not, that would be bad news.

I posted a result for comparison.
In my opinion, there is no difference.

Post a reply to this message

> I have a special development version that needs exhaustive testing of
> complex textures, so if you have a scene that uses wild combinations of
> the following features (and you happen to be using Unix), it would be
> greatly appreciated if you could give it a shot:
>
> - patterned textures
> - material_map
> - layered textures
> - overriding the texture of objects
> - non-canonical syntax to define textures (e.g specifying `pigment`
> directly on an object)
> - any other texture-related stuff you can think of
>
> The version in question can be found here:
>
>   https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/tree/refactor/texture
>
> (source code only at this time)
>
> Also, I expect more follow-up versions to be coming, so I might ask you
> to re-test with the same scenes later.

A material mapped from Norbert Kern's collection and run against:

---
A - POV-Ray 3.7.0.unofficial

B - POV-Ray 3.7.1-alpha.8764097.unofficial (current 3.7.1)

C - POV-Ray 3.7.1-alpha.8738139.unofficial (refactor/texture)

Is showing differences in all three when run with radiosity. See the
attached image where A, B and C shown left to right.

If run without radiosity A & C match well, but our current 3.7.1 is
still different.

If run without radiosity and finish statements A, B & C match well, so
something is different in finish {} with our current 3.7.1.

Unsure what might be expected and not. Where would you like to go from
here?

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'nk0065compare.png' (190 KB)

Preview of image 'nk0065compare.png'
nk0065compare.png

From: William F Pokorny
Date: 31 Aug 2016 11:52:17
Message: <57c6fd31@news.povray.org>
On 08/31/2016 10:12 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 08/09/2016 07:55 PM, clipka wrote:
>
> Bill P.

Having looked at more results I have seen nothing which dies outright as
yet. About a third run so far have little change across the three
versions. The rest do and I'd say mostly in the shadows. There is I see
a new shadow cache message out of the refactored code.

Another with somewhat significant differences is attached.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'nk0008compare.png' (244 KB)