POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Experimental alternative diffuse models Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:43:32 EDT (-0400)
  Experimental alternative diffuse models (Message 11 to 20 of 21)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: And
Subject: Re: Experimental alternative diffuse models
Date: 6 Apr 2016 08:10:00
Message: <web.5704fbc076d9c5203feafd5e0@news.povray.org>
> Am 06.04.2016 um 09:52 schrieb And:
>
> > I derived a solution on what I said the albedo value getting dark when sigma
> > increase.
> > I study the formula from the wikipedia. It said A=1-0.5*..., B=0.45*...(Both
> > rely on the sigma)
> >
> > And the result albedo seems rho*A + rho*B*(2/3-64/45/pi) instead rho
> > itself. So maybe you can divide it when apply the diffuse albedo feature.
>
> Thanks! That correction factor appears to make a lot more sense than the
> hack I had come up with :)
>
> Not too surprisingly, experiments indicate that it does indeed fit like
> a glove.

Ok ok! cheers.

If I don't make mistake. but it should correct because I calculate formula
carefully.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 6 Apr 2016 08:55:01
Message: <web.5705071b76d9c5208020c8510@news.povray.org>
Sometimes I read these threads and wonder when "POV-Ray version QED" will be
available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLQ2atfqk2c&list=PL8590A6E18255B3F4

I must confess, I watched the whole thing, and I found it fascinating, because
he says things about the behaviour of light that I've always wondered about, and
that they Never Ever mentioned in my entire academic experience, which was very
long and very painful   ;)

I think it's excellent that a new diffuse reflection model is being experimented
with - I'm sure there ought to be some interesting technical and artistic works
appearing in short order.

Just curious if the thin film refraction model that POV-Ray uses is based on
what Feynman discusses in his lectures...

Post a reply to this message

>>> I derived a solution on what I said the albedo value getting dark when sigma
>>> increase.
>>> I study the formula from the wikipedia. It said A=1-0.5*..., B=0.45*...(Both
>>> rely on the sigma)
>>>
>>> And the result albedo seems rho*A + rho*B*(2/3-64/45/pi) instead rho
>>> itself. So maybe you can divide it when apply the diffuse albedo feature.
>>
>> Thanks! That correction factor appears to make a lot more sense than the
>> hack I had come up with :)
>>
>> Not too surprisingly, experiments indicate that it does indeed fit like
>> a glove.
>
> Ok ok! cheers.
>
> If I don't make mistake. but it should correct because I calculate formula
> carefully.

Actually, once I thought about your result, I realized that the
bihemispherical albedo /must/ be

    rho*( A*a + B*b )

with the terms A and B depending on sigma as specified in the Oren-Nayar
description, and a,b being constant.

From the fact that Oren-Nayar includes the Lambertian model as a special
case with A=1,B=0 it follows that a /must/ be 1.

The value 2/3+(64/45)*(1/pi) for b looks a bit complicated, but
experiments with high sigma clearly indicate that it indeed at least
approximates the proper value very closely, and it looks plausible
enough as an exact value, so I'm pretty sure you did indeed get the
hemispherical integral right.

Post a reply to this message

Am 06.04.2016 um 14:54 schrieb Bald Eagle:

> Just curious if the thin film refraction model that POV-Ray uses is based on
> what Feynman discusses in his lectures...

POV-Ray uses a thin film refraction model?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it uses a standard single-interface
model for refraction.

Post a reply to this message

> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> >> Thanks! That correction factor appears to make a lot more sense than the
> >> hack I had come up with :)
> >>
> >> Not too surprisingly, experiments indicate that it does indeed fit like
> >> a glove.
> >
> > Ok ok! cheers.
> >
> > If I don't make mistake. but it should correct because I calculate formula
> > carefully.
>
> Actually, once I thought about your result, I realized that the
> bihemispherical albedo /must/ be
>
>     rho*( A*a + B*b )
>
> with the terms A and B depending on sigma as specified in the Oren-Nayar
> description, and a,b being constant.
>
> From the fact that Oren-Nayar includes the Lambertian model as a special
> case with A=1,B=0 it follows that a /must/ be 1.
>
> The value 2/3+(64/45)*(1/pi) for b looks a bit complicated, but
> experiments with high sigma clearly indicate that it indeed at least
> approximates the proper value very closely, and it looks plausible
> enough as an exact value, so I'm pretty sure you did indeed get the
> hemispherical integral right.

Well. :)

> Sometimes I read these threads and wonder when "POV-Ray version QED" will be
available:

QED... I think that is far from the rendering application.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLQ2atfqk2c&list=PL8590A6E18255B3F4
>
> I must confess, I watched the whole thing, and I found it fascinating, because
> he says things about the behaviour of light that I've always wondered about, and
> that they Never Ever mentioned in my entire academic experience, which was very
> long and very painful   ;)
Well.

> I think it's excellent that a new diffuse reflection model is being experimented
> with - I'm sure there ought to be some interesting technical and artistic works
> appearing in short order.

Oren-Nayar reflection model is a very useful feature for me.

Post a reply to this message