POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Colour of blurred reflections in unbiased tracing Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Colour of blurred reflections in unbiased tracing (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: scott
Subject: Colour of blurred reflections in unbiased tracing
Date: 30 Jan 2013 08:58:31
Message: <51092707$1@news.povray.org>
As I heard some form of unbiased algorithm might be making its way into
POV 3.7 at some point (similar to mcpov) I thought I'd bring up some
thoughts/questions I had about how colours are used.

I understand that in mcpov the surface colour is determined by shooting
out multiple rays and averaging their result, matching the real world
closer and closer as the number of rays is increased. I also understand
that you simulate diffuse or varying levels of blurred reflections by
shaping the distribution of rays across the hemisphere. A very shiny
surface (like a mirror) would only shoot rays in one direction, whereas
a totally diffuse surface would shoot rays in all directions randomly.

My understanding from real life is that colour is handled differently in
each case though. When I see a blue piece of plastic it's blue because
all the light being reflected off it has its spectrum attenuated
accordingly to make it blue. But when I see a glossy specular reflection
(even if blurred slightly) in the same material the colour is not
changed (white lights still appear white, not blue).

My assumption therefore is that the spectral attenuation that gives the
appearance of colour somehow affects light more the further away the ray
is from direct mirror reflection. It appears however mcpov does not
allow for this. In the current POV this isn't an issue as specular and
diffuse reflection are very clearly separated and you can choose the
colour and amount of each, but if something like mcpov is to be
incorporated into POV then the two terms become blurred and it's not
clear how to correctly simulate the real life situation.

My guess is you need some kind of falloff parameter that determines how
the diffuse colour specified affects the light as the angle increases
away from direct mirror reflection. But that's a pure guess, I have no
theoretical understanding of why this should be.

Post a reply to this message