POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Unix Install 3.7RC4 Server Time
5 May 2024 12:27:54 EDT (-0400)
  Unix Install 3.7RC4 (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Unix Install 3.7RC4
Date: 26 Feb 2012 05:42:29
Message: <4f4a0c95$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I reinstall a system, (so ~/.povray was not existant), and then
installed povray from sources, as a normal user (excepted the
installation step):

 $ ./configure ...
 $ make
 $ make check
 $ sudo make install

I find these steps pretty much standard.

The problem I'm noticing is that the $HOME/.povray hierarchy get owned
by root (hey, it's *MY* directory !). There is a chown in the Makefile
for the target files (povray.ini & povray.conf), as well as subtree but:

 * povowner & povgroup are hard coded to 0 (I would expect a copy of the
owner & group of $HOME, wouldn't I ?)

For getting povowner, I would suggest `stat -c "%u" $HOME`
For povgroup, `stat -c "%g" $HOME`

Are they portable enough ? (I could ask on Monday a Solaris system, but
I do not have bsd and the other flavours of unix)

(Stat is in section 1 of man, part of gnu coreutils, /usr/bin/stat)

Side note: This is fine to install for the local user, but new later
users could benefit also from a ~/.povray/3.7/ subtree ; what about also
filling the /etc/skel (when available) ? (and in /etc/skel, root owner
is fine!)