POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Doubled errors Server Time
29 Apr 2024 19:56:55 EDT (-0400)
  Doubled errors (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Timo Poikola
Subject: Doubled errors
Date: 18 Jul 2011 05:15:01
Message: <web.4e23f93edfdc922df1a674c50@news.povray.org>
Is there any reason, why parse errors are seen twice:

File 'example.pov' line 10: Parse Error: No matching } in 'pigment', { found
 instead
File 'example.pov' line 10: Parse Error: No matching } in 'pigment', { found
 instead
Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
Render failed

In this case, there is only one '{' in line 10.

Povray is 3.7 RC3.

Post a reply to this message

> Is there any reason, why parse errors are seen twice:
>
> File 'example.pov' line 10: Parse Error: No matching } in 'pigment', { found
>   instead
> File 'example.pov' line 10: Parse Error: No matching } in 'pigment', { found
>   instead
> Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
> Render failed
>
> In this case, there is only one '{' in line 10.
>
> Povray is 3.7 RC3.

> Is there any reason, why parse errors are seen twice:

As Thorsten probably intended to convey, answering this
question requires to see a small code sample that reproduces
the effect.

Post a reply to this message

> > Is there any reason, why parse errors are seen twice:
>
> As Thorsten probably intended to convey, answering this
> question requires to see a small code sample that reproduces
> the effect.

Every now and then, if there is any problem which produce a "parse error",
exactly same error message is printed 2 times. This effect is totally
independent on actual reason of error.

2 examples:
----
File 'a.pov' line 2: Parse Error: Expected 'numeric expression', } found instead
File 'a.pov' line 2: Parse Error: Expected 'numeric expression', } found instead
Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
Render failed

a.pov:
global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.5}
box {<-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>, }
light_source {<4, 5, -5>, rgb <1, 1, 1>}
camera {location <5, 5, -5> look_at <0, 0, 0>}
----
File 'b.pov' line 2: Parse Error: Expected 'object', undeclared identifier 'foo'
 found instead
File 'b.pov' line 2: Parse Error: Expected 'object', undeclared identifier 'foo'
 found instead
Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
Render failed

b.pov:
global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.5}
object { foo }
light_source {<4, 5, -5>, rgb <1, 1, 1>}
camera {location <5, 5, -5> look_at <0, 0, 0>}
----

Povray: 3.7 RC3
Host computer: 64 bit Debian sid, AMD Phenom X4 9950, 8GB ram

Post a reply to this message

On 07/18/2011 05:00 PM, Timo Poikola wrote:
> 2 examples:
> ----
> File 'a.pov' line 2: Parse Error: Expected 'numeric expression', } found instead
> File 'a.pov' line 2: Parse Error: Expected 'numeric expression', } found instead
> Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
> Render failed
> ----
> File 'b.pov' line 2: Parse Error: Expected 'object', undeclared identifier 'foo'
>   found instead
> File 'b.pov' line 2: Parse Error: Expected 'object', undeclared identifier 'foo'
>   found instead
> Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
> Render failed

yep ... confirmed both these items

> Povray: 3.7 RC3
> Host computer: 64 bit Debian sid, AMD Phenom X4 9950, 8GB ram

32 bit OpenSuse ... up to date developers copy

Post a reply to this message