POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC3 oddity? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 23:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  RC3 oddity? (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: RC3 oddity?
Date: 6 Feb 2011 10:26:49
Message: <4d4ebdb9$1@news.povray.org>
Wondering if any of you have observed this odd behavior with RC3 linux
build ...

It's fairly repeatable and I have kill -9 to gain control. After the
hard kill I wait a few seconds then restart the job and it's fine (NO
scene file changes) ... here's a bit more about how the problem
manifests itself: from time to time it will pass parse phase then I get
the rendering message echoed to the text stream, it brings up the
preview window then just sits there ... I tried without preview window
(in case it was that) and the problem reoccurs ... both with either
detail (full textures (glass & photons) or with low detail ... just
pigments and NO photons) ... not suspecting my scene file just yet!

What I've noticed in gnome process monitor is that futex_wait_queue_me
is categorized as sleeping but it's cpu consumption is way high ... I
see 4 threads spread out even over 2 cores and I also see the
max_image_buffer_memory allocation (128mb) as virtual x 4 (which seems
odd) ... it NEVER goes into swap

Just curious ...