POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Panoramic camera fix on 180 degrees - a bug? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 13:11:59 EDT (-0400)
  Panoramic camera fix on 180 degrees - a bug? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Friedrich Lohmüller
Subject: Panoramic camera fix on 180 degrees - a bug?
Date: 11 May 2010 20:54:53
Message: <4be9fc5d@news.povray.org>
With POV-Ray 3,7 beta37a and  3.6.2 (Win64):
camera {
   panoramic
   location <0, 0,  0>
   look_at  <0, 0,  1>
   angle    360
}

Horizontally and vertically!
Vertically may be okay,

In POV-Ray Reference:
"It uses a type of cylindrical projection to be able to use viewing
angles larger than 180 degrees with a tolerable lateral-stretching
distortion. The angle keyword is used to determine the viewing angle."

Did I missed something or
is this really a bug which I should add to Flyspray?
????

Friedrich

//-----------------------------------------
email:  Fri### [at] t-onlinede
homepage: http://www.f-lohmueller.de/
//-----------------------------------------

Post a reply to this message

> With POV-Ray 3,7 beta37a and  3.6.2 (Win64):
> camera {
> panoramic
> location <0, 0, 0>
> look_at <0, 0, 1>
> angle 360
> }

> Horizontally and vertically!
> Vertically may be okay,

For a sky sphere you'll want the "spherical" camera.

Post a reply to this message

> "It uses a type of cylindrical projection to be able to use viewing
> angles larger than 180 degrees with a tolerable lateral-stretching
> distortion. The angle keyword is used to determine the viewing angle."

Apparently this is a documentation error - either that, or the panoramic
camera has never worked the way it was intended to; POV-Ray 3.6.2 shows
the same behavior.

Post a reply to this message

>> "It uses a type of cylindrical projection to be able to use viewing
>> angles larger than 180 degrees with a tolerable lateral-stretching
>> distortion. The angle keyword is used to determine the viewing angle."
>
> Apparently this is a documentation error - either that, or the panoramic
> camera has never worked the way it was intended to; POV-Ray 3.6.2 shows
> the same behavior.

Post a reply to this message

>> "It uses a type of cylindrical projection to be able to use viewing
>> angles larger than 180 degrees with a tolerable lateral-stretching
>> distortion. The angle keyword is used to determine the viewing angle."
>
> Apparently this is a documentation error - either that, or the panoramic
> camera has never worked the way it was intended to; POV-Ray 3.6.2 shows
> the same behavior.
Thanks for clearing this!

Your right: The spherical camera works correkt for skyspheres!

Friedrich