POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : focal blur change? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 13:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  focal blur change? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: focal blur change?
Date: 11 May 2010 08:39:13
Message: <4be94ff1$1@news.povray.org>
Playing around with recent beta and noticed a focal blur change ... well
not necessarily a behavior change, maybe just a messages stream change.

Didn't v3.6 used to report standard AA turned off if focal blur was
switched on? Now I see in the messages stream that my ini AA settings
are being echoed (honored?) sans the "old" message (AA off) ... focal
blur STILL appears to be working.

I see several mentions for fixed focal blur this and that, but no
specifics in: http://www.povray.org/beta/changes.txt

Jim

Post a reply to this message

Jim Holsenback <jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
> Playing around with recent beta and noticed a focal blur change ... well
> not necessarily a behavior change, maybe just a messages stream change.

> Didn't v3.6 used to report standard AA turned off if focal blur was
> switched on? Now I see in the messages stream that my ini AA settings
> are being echoed (honored?) sans the "old" message (AA off) ... focal
> blur STILL appears to be working.

  POV-Ray 3.7 will calculate focal blur *and* antialiasing (in other words,
if you use both, your image will be different than when using focal blur
only). I don't remember when this change was made, but it was pretty early
in the development cycle.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   POV-Ray 3.7 will calculate focal blur *and* antialiasing (in other words,
> if you use both, your image will be different than when using focal blur
> only). I don't remember when this change was made, but it was pretty early
> in the development cycle.

Thanks for the clarification .... it sounds like I ought to make note of
that here:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_2.2#Using_Focal_Blur

in the final paragraph ... agreed?

Jim