POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 changes to file gamma? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:56:13 EDT (-0400)
  Beta 37 changes to file gamma? (Message 11 to 20 of 30)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Beta 37 changes to file gamma?
Date: 29 Apr 2010 15:57:01
Message: <4bd9e48d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.04.2010 18:24, schrieb Warp:

>    As for image map images which don't have gamma info in them, they have to
> be pre-gamma corrected manually when using the correct gamma for your system.
> POV-Ray 3.7 implements now a keyword to do that.

Actually you can typically go without explicitly using that mechanism,
as POV-Ray will still make a sophisticated guess and perform an implicit
gamma-adjustment which should be fine for most cases.

>    Question: If someone "lies" to POV-Ray by claiming that his system uses
> a gamma of 1.0 when in reality it uses a gamma of 2.2, and renders an image
> with that setting, will that image look the same in a different system with
> a different gamma (eg. one with a gamma of 1.8), or will it look different?
> If so, how different (brighter, darker...)?

It doesn't matter what POV-Ray settings were used to create the image
file: An image file created with a "lie" will suffer exactly the same
effects when transmitted to another system as an image file created
without a "lie".

When moving an image file from a gamma 2.2 system to a gamma 1.8 system,
the file may or may not look a tad brighter and more washed-out,
depending on whether the file format carries gamma information, and/or
whether the "target" system makes a correct guess that the image was
created to look good on a gamma 2.2 system.

Post a reply to this message