POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : The Gamma Blues Server Time
3 Jul 2024 15:49:08 EDT (-0400)
  The Gamma Blues (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: clipka
Subject: The Gamma Blues
Date: 12 Sep 2009 09:18:35
Message: <4aab9fab$1@news.povray.org>
Ain't this sweet?

PNG properly defines how gamma should be handled in the presence of a
gAMA chunk.

POV-Ray 3.6, when used with assumed_gamma, respects this definition
flawlessly... for 24- and 32-bit images, that is.

For 8-bit color palette PNG images, POV-Ray 3.6 doesn't give a damn
about gamma correction.

Likewise, the PPM format properly defines how gamma should be handled
*always*.

POV-Ray 3.6 gives a piece of sh*t about this definition.

So, how should one go about this in POV-Ray 3.7? Emulate all those
crappy details? If so, when? Only when #version is set to 3.6? Always
when the legacy assumed_gamma statement is used (which is supposed to
not be used for new scenes)?

Can of worms indeed...

Post a reply to this message