POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : New to v3.7 stuff? Server Time
4 Jul 2024 12:51:04 EDT (-0400)
  New to v3.7 stuff? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: New to v3.7 stuff?
Date: 15 Aug 2009 14:03:37
Message: <4a86f879@news.povray.org>
Greetings,

Thought this might be a good starting point for someone interested in
helping out with docs.

Christoph your'e hooked into the preforce depot, how difficult would it be
to generate a list to work from?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: New to v3.7 stuff?
Date: 15 Aug 2009 15:37:34
Message: <4a870e7e@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback schrieb:
> Greetings,
>
> Thought this might be a good starting point for someone interested in
> helping out with docs.
>
> Christoph your'e hooked into the preforce depot, how difficult would it be
> to generate a list to work from?

You mean, a list of all the changes that were introduced since 3.6.1c?

Wouldn't that be exactly what's in the changes list (as available on
http://www.povray.org/beta/)?

Well, I just see that the chronologically first entry is "Changes
between  3.7.beta.1 and 3.7.beta.2", so some changes introduced between
3.6 and 3.7 pre-beta (or beta.1) might not have made it into the list.

Anyway, the perforce depot contains something between guesstimated
1000-1600 change entries since the branch from 3.6 code, a lot of which
will probably have no relevance for the documentation (bug fixes, code
refactoring and such), and no way to automatically distinguish the two.
So maybe we only want to use it where the official change list appears
to have holes.

Post a reply to this message

"clipka" <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote in message
> Wouldn't that be exactly what's in the changes list (as available on
> http://www.povray.org/beta/)?

Bingo!!

> Anyway, the perforce depot contains something between guesstimated
> 1000-1600 change entries since the branch from 3.6 code, a lot of which
> will probably have no relevance for the documentation (bug fixes, code
> refactoring and such), and no way to automatically distinguish the two. So
> maybe we only want to use it where the official change list appears to
> have holes.

ha-ha ... yes I can imagine that's a REAL long list. I think your first
pointer is really more along the lines what I was really looking for
thanks for the clarification, I think I'll try to work that into a todo list
over on the wiki!

Danke

Post a reply to this message

> Well, I just see that the chronologically first entry is "Changes
> between  3.7.beta.1 and 3.7.beta.2", so some changes introduced between
> 3.6 and 3.7 pre-beta (or beta.1) might not have made it into the list.

There were no major changes visible to users in between except for a few INI
options (the thread control).

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

>> Well, I just see that the chronologically first entry is "Changes between
>> 3.7.beta.1 and 3.7.beta.2", so some changes introduced between 3.6 and
>> 3.7 pre-beta (or beta.1) might not have made it into the list.
>
> There were no major changes visible to users in between except for a few
> INI options (the thread control).

I guess I'm talking about later .... what about SMP, SSLT (others) .... I
should be able to glean that from the change list right?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in message
>> clipka wrote:
>>> Well, I just see that the chronologically first entry is "Changes between
>>> 3.7.beta.1 and 3.7.beta.2", so some changes introduced between 3.6 and
>>> 3.7 pre-beta (or beta.1) might not have made it into the list.
>> There were no major changes visible to users in between except for a few
>> INI options (the thread control).
>
> I guess I'm talking about later .... what about SMP, SSLT (others) .... I
> should be able to glean that from the change list right?

All changes before the public beta were related to SMP, which of course was
the whole point of 3.7 and hence worked from beta 1. All features were added
afterwards (or changed again, like the gamma handling).

	Thorsten