POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Installer suggestions Server Time
4 Jul 2024 12:37:56 EDT (-0400)
  Installer suggestions (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Christian Froeschlin
Subject: Installer suggestions
Date: 8 Jul 2009 19:58:48
Message: <4a5532b8@news.povray.org>
1. It might be preferrable to provide the installer as an
    executable instead of an unpackaged MSI file. This would
    greatly simplify running the installer with administrator
    privileges via "Run As ...".

2. The default installation type is currently for a single user,
    presumably because that one will always work. I'd suggest that
    the default type be set to "install for all users" at least if
    the installer is run with administrator privileges. I think it
    can be tested in InstallShield using a construct like

      if (Is(USER_ADMINISTRATOR,"")) then ...

3. Actually, the selection single user / all users might then
    no longer be needed. When run as adminstrator, install program
    files under "Program Files" (or selected target directory) as
    would be expected anyway. When run without administrator
    privileges, install program files under Documents (and
    preferrably warn about this in a message box which
    offers to cancel the installation).

Post a reply to this message

> 1. It might be preferrable to provide the installer as an
>     executable instead of an unpackaged MSI file. This would
>     greatly simplify running the installer with administrator
>     privileges via "Run As ...".

You can't use "run as" on MSIs? I'd report that to Microsoft...

> 2. The default installation type is currently for a single user,
>     presumably because that one will always work. I'd suggest that
>     the default type be set to "install for all users" at least if
>     the installer is run with administrator privileges.

Agree on default change.

> 3. Actually, the selection single user / all users might then
>     no longer be needed. When run as adminstrator, install program
>     files under "Program Files" (or selected target directory) as
>     would be expected anyway. When run without administrator
>     privileges, install program files under Documents (and
>     preferrably warn about this in a message box which
>     offers to cancel the installation).

Better to let users choose anyway.