POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Hyperthreading on Intel Atom Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:27:15 EDT (-0400)
  Hyperthreading on Intel Atom (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Christian Froeschlin
Subject: Hyperthreading on Intel Atom
Date: 9 May 2009 16:23:20
Message: <4a05e638$1@news.povray.org>
Not the most appropriate platform for doing your final
render, but I tried beta 32 on my Asus eeePC running XP,
and was surprised how effective the hyperthreading was
(the CPU has only one core). Of course, even twice as
fast as very slow is not very fast, but still ;)

Times for subsurface.pov at 160x120 no AA (yes, well,
I'm not very patient) on a 1.6 Ghz Intel Atom N270 both in
high performance and power saving mode (in parantheses).

1 Thread:

Time Use: 3m 57s (5m 02s)
CPU Time: 3m 57s (5m 02s)

2 Threads:

Time Use: 2m 29s (3m 10s)
CPU Time: 4m 52s (6m 10s)

Oh did I mention I actually got Visual C++ 2005 Express and
the Platform SDK running on this thing and compiled beta 31
from source there? ;)