POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV 3.6 (x64) Vista animation bug Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:30:45 EDT (-0400)
  POV 3.6 (x64) Vista animation bug (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Tim Attwood
Subject: POV 3.6 (x64) Vista animation bug
Date: 5 Apr 2009 05:16:23
Message: <49d876e7$1@news.povray.org>
Using animation options causes the render to hang.
This is essentially the same bug as with POV 3.6(x32)
under Vista (x64).
However, with POV 3.6 (x32) you can run pvengine in
compatability mode, disabling visual themes.
With POV 3.6 (x64) it is run in 64 bit mode, so
visual themes can't be turned off, (it's greyed out).

I know that POV 3.6 (x64) is essentially unsupported semi-
beta, and that POV 3.7 is nearing the end of beta probably.
Just FYI.

Post a reply to this message

> Using animation options causes the render to hang.
> This is essentially the same bug as with POV 3.6(x32)
> under Vista (x64).
> However, with POV 3.6 (x32) you can run pvengine in
> compatability mode, disabling visual themes.
> With POV 3.6 (x64) it is run in 64 bit mode, so
> visual themes can't be turned off, (it's greyed out).
>
> I know that POV 3.6 (x64) is essentially unsupported semi-
> beta, and that POV 3.7 is nearing the end of beta probably.
> Just FYI.

Thanks for the report. Actually we are planning a new 3.6x release to fix
Vista bugs and a few other old issues.

-- Chris

Date: 4 May 2009 13:45:00
Message: <web.49ff287b9823cc33d50d8be0@news.povray.org>
"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] anti-spamcomcastnet> wrote:
> Using animation options causes the render to hang.
> This is essentially the same bug as with POV 3.6(x32)
> under Vista (x64).
> However, with POV 3.6 (x32) you can run pvengine in
> compatability mode, disabling visual themes.
> With POV 3.6 (x64) it is run in 64 bit mode, so
> visual themes can't be turned off, (it's greyed out).
>
> I know that POV 3.6 (x64) is essentially unsupported semi-
> beta, and that POV 3.7 is nearing the end of beta probably.
> Just FYI.

Thank you very much for the tip. It worked!

I had installed POV 3.6 in a USB Pendrive at home (XP SP3), then copied it to a
temporary directory at another computer (Vista) where I don't have admin
rights, and it worked, even when launching animations. Then I installed 3.7
beta31 and it also worked. But last week 3.6 started crashing when launched for
animations. I even had every version uninstalled and 3.6 reinstalled by an
admin. Still didn't work, it was driving me crazy... but disabling visual
themes, enabling compatibility mode, and restarting made it work.

PS
The reason I keep using 3.6 is mainly that my scene makes heavy use of
isosurfaces -realistic Earth renderings-, and v3.7beta31 takes almost 3-4 more
time to render than 3.6! (in any other scene without isosurface 3.7 is about
35%
faster than 3.6, my Vista-system being a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 2 GB Ram); the
final aspect of the render is also different, the Earth appearing clearly
overexposed...
I've tried also Megapov 1.2.1 in my iMac running Leopard 10.5.6 -since it is
well-known v3.6 crashes-, and the rendering times are double those of v3.6
under Vista, with or without isosurfaces (and by the way, isosurfaces also make
artifacts with Megapov 1.2.1, both under Vista and Leopard)...

Anyway, many thanks.