POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : A step back in alpha transparency (+ua) blending? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  A step back in alpha transparency (+ua) blending? (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Ive
Subject: Re: A step back in alpha transparency (+ua) blending?
Date: 21 Mar 2009 07:43:47
Message: <49c4d2f3$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Which hints at another problem with the new 3.7 behavior: It seems that this is
> dealt with in the backend; but a look at the PNG spec indicates that it is in
> fact a file-format dependent issue, and should therefore be handled in the
> frontend.

This is not really an issue because almost all graphic file formats (and
all supported by  POV-Ray) do only use non-premultiplied alpha channels
just like described in the PNG specs. The only exceptions I'm aware of
that do *also* support premultiplied alpha are TIFF (where a tag for
this exists) and Microsofts DDS.
The only reason premultiplied alpha does exist at all is to save one
multiplication per pixel when composing the image with the background,
and so might have been important in the early days of computer graphics,
especially games.

-Ive