POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : A warning to Logitech webcam users - re POV-Ray 3.7 betas (and other applications) Server Time
29 Mar 2024 03:04:11 EDT (-0400)
  A warning to Logitech webcam users - re POV-Ray 3.7 betas (and other applications) (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Lance Birch
Subject: A warning to Logitech webcam users - re POV-Ray 3.7 betas (and other applications)
Date: 26 Apr 2006 13:19:49
Message: <444fabb5@news.povray.org>
Recently for me, 3.7 beta versions of POV-Ray started "mysteriously" failing to
load.  Running any of the 3.7 betas caused an immediate silent load failure - no
dialogs would be displayed and the process would only appear for an instant
before vanishing again.  I was baffled as only recently I'd been using the beta
versions and they'd been loading without any issues.

After *many hours* of frustrating investigation by Chris, it turns out the cause
of this mess is Logitech webcam drivers.  At fault is a particular DLL called
LVPrcInj.dll (latest available version is 9.5.0.1098), which can be located in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LVMVFM\

The workaround:

Rename LVPrcInj.dll to something like LVPrcInj.old to ensure that it can't load.
Note that you may have to boot to Safe Mode to rename the file if it's presently
in use.

This DLL by Logitech appears to be associated with the "Video Effects" feature
of certain Logitech webcams, including - but not limited to - Logitech QuickCam
Pro 5000, Logitech QuickCam Orbit MP, Logitech QuickCam Fusion and Logitech
QuickCam for Notebooks Pro.  For some crazy reason Logitech decided this DLL
should inject itself into basically everything it can.  This DLL also causes
problems to other applications like Alcohol 120% (and no doubt many more).

After renaming this horrid DLL the POV-Ray 3.7 betas (and other affected apps)
will be allowed to work properly, although you may find that certain features of
your Logitech webcam no longer function (most likely the "Video Effects", the
value of which I consider to be debateable).

Apparently Logitech is currently "Celebrating 25 Years of Innovative Design".
*cough*

Lance.

Post a reply to this message

> For some crazy reason Logitech decided this DLL
> should inject itself into basically everything it can.

  Why does this remind me of the Sony DRM fiasco?
  Nah, must be only my imagination. They wouldn't do that. Would they?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 26/04/2006 19:06:
> Lance Birch <-> wrote:
>
>>Logitech webcam drivers
>

>>For some crazy reason Logitech decided this DLL
>>should inject itself into basically everything it can.
>

>   Why does this remind me of the Sony DRM fiasco?
>   Nah, must be only my imagination. They wouldn't do that. Would they?

At least, preventing the file from loading don't break anything. It's one of those
"can do better
without" file/feature you love to hate!

--
Alain
'No, `Eureka' is Greek for `This bath is too hot.'' -- Dr. Who