POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : hollow2.pov, beta3 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 17:01:36 EDT (-0400)
  hollow2.pov, beta3 (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Warp
Subject: hollow2.pov, beta3
Date: 2 May 2005 16:43:49
Message: <42769105@news.povray.org>
While the beta3 seems to have mostly fixed the problem with
the scenes\interior\media\hollow1.pov and hollow2.pov, the latter
still shows a remarkable difference compared to pov3.6.
  It's difficult to say what exactly is causing the difference, other
than that it is clearly somehow related to non-hollowness and media.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   While the beta3 seems to have mostly fixed the problem with
> the scenes\interior\media\hollow1.pov and hollow2.pov, the latter
> still shows a remarkable difference compared to pov3.6.
>   It's difficult to say what exactly is causing the difference, other
> than that it is clearly somehow related to non-hollowness and media.

bump the max_trace_level to 6 and it will work as expected.

as to why it needs the extra level, I'll have a look.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

>   While the beta3 seems to have mostly fixed the problem with
> the scenes\interior\media\hollow1.pov and hollow2.pov, the latter
> still shows a remarkable difference compared to pov3.6.
>   It's difficult to say what exactly is causing the difference, other
> than that it is clearly somehow related to non-hollowness and media.

the max_trace_level was an artifact of the way we handle that internally now;
it actually didn't need an extra level and was tracing more or less the same
number of rays. (you'll notice that it in general reports a trace level of
one higher than 3.6 for the same scene).

this has been fixed so hopefully it will act and report the same way now.

-- Chris