POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Another difference and perhaps crash (abyss.pov) Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Another difference and perhaps crash (abyss.pov) (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Warp
Subject: Another difference and perhaps crash (abyss.pov)
Date: 22 Apr 2005 02:15:33
Message: <42689685@news.povray.org>
I noticed yesterday that if you render scenes\advanced\abyss.pov
there's a very notable difference in the background brightness. This
can't be explained by gamma since the other objects in the scene
are basically ok. The scene (when rendered with 3.6) has a rather
bright cyan background, but when rendered with 3.7 the background
is almost (or totally) black.
  Could this perhaps be related to media?

  I tried investigating it more today but for some odd reason I can't
render it anymore with 3.7beta2: It keeps crashing every time I try.
(Other scenes render ok.)
  Anyone having this same problem?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>  I tried investigating it more today but for some odd reason I can't
> render it anymore with 3.7beta2: It keeps crashing every time I try.
> (Other scenes render ok.)
>  Anyone having this same problem?

It seems that this line is causing the trouble
#declare Inter=trace( SubTop, Start, Dir, Norm1);
Also, media appears black, like you said

G.

Post a reply to this message

>   I noticed yesterday that if you render scenes\advanced\abyss.pov
> there's a very notable difference in the background brightness. This
> can't be explained by gamma since the other objects in the scene
> are basically ok. The scene (when rendered with 3.6) has a rather
> bright cyan background, but when rendered with 3.7 the background
> is almost (or totally) black.
>   Could this perhaps be related to media?

This is actually the same problem (related to hollow) as reported in
'hollow1.pov oddities'. We are still working on fixing that.

>   I tried investigating it more today but for some odd reason I can't
> render it anymore with 3.7beta2: It keeps crashing every time I try.

This is caused by the trace statement; it's causing access to some data used
by blobs that currently isn't set up until the parse finishes.

The latter problem is fixed, the former one will be shortly I hope.

thanks,

-- Chris