POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : A few possible bugs in POV-Ray 3.6 beta 2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  A few possible bugs in POV-Ray 3.6 beta 2 (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Severi Salminen
Subject: A few possible bugs in POV-Ray 3.6 beta 2
Date: 16 Mar 2004 12:33:21
Message: <40573a61$1@news.povray.org>
This is about Windows version of POV-Ray 3.6 beta 2 on Windows 2000.

First create a file "temp.dat" that has only one numerical value in it
("0", without quotes for example) in the same directory as the scene
below. When I try to render the scene, I get 'The instruction at ".."
referenced memory at "..". The memory could not be "read"'. This is the
scene:

#declare A = 0;
#macro Read_Data()
     #fopen File "temp.dat" read
     #read(File, A)
     #fclose File
#end
Read_Data()

If the first line (#declare A=0;) is commented out I get the same error
expect '...could not be "written"'. In both cases I can read the next in
the message window:

"File context (5 lines):
0
Parse error: End of file reached but #end expected".

Now, if I place a comma after the "0" in temp.dat the scene parses
normally in both cases.

Interestingly the next scene renders normally even _without_ the comma
mentioned above - also without the declaration. The only difference is
that macro is not used.

#declare A = 0;

#fopen File "temp.dat" read
#read(File, A)
#fclose File

Also, if the "temp.dat" file does not exist POV-Ray gives "Runtime
Error!" and exits instantly.

Severi Salminen

Post a reply to this message

> First create a file "temp.dat" that has only one numerical value in it
> ("0", without quotes for example) in the same directory as the scene
> below.

Is the number followed by a newline?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany