POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Memory leak with sample scene in beta 11 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Memory leak with sample scene in beta 11 (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Michael Goldshteyn
Subject: Memory leak with sample scene in beta 11
Date: 14 Feb 2002 09:08:28
Message: <3c6bc4dc$1@news.povray.org>
I just tried rendering the sample scene using POV 3.5 beta 11:

In scenes\advanced\blocks\stackertransp.pov

with the following changes:

Comment out the following line the first time you run, to generate a 1200
block data file. If you run again, you can uncomment it back, not to have to
generate the data file:

// #declare WriteFile=false; // turns off the generation of the file, just
read them from the previous file

Modify the following line:

#declare num=1200;

Modify the global_settings as follows:

global_settings{
    radiosity{
        pretrace_end 0.01
        count 400
        recursion_limit 1
        nearest_count 9
        gray_threshold 0
        error_bound 0.01
    }
    max_trace_level 50
    adc_bailout 0.01
}

---------------------------

Now, render the file at 1024x768 with no AA, preferably on a relatively fast
machine. pvengine.exe will leak RAM the entire time and in about 8 hours of
rendering on a >=1GHz PIII machine, your virtual memory will be down a good
600MB. Note this leaked memory will be lost, until you restart the app. Note
that the radiosity pre-processing will take some time, and memory will
accumulate normally, I would hope, during this perioud. The fun leak part is
during the actual render.

IMPORTANT NOTE TO MEMORY LEAK HUNTERS
For people using Task Manager on Windows NT/2000/XP to diagnose memory
leaks, you should not be looking at the Mem Usage column. This represents
the process' working set, which the OS can trim, not the actual virtual
memory utilization. To see how much total virtual memory your process is
utilizing in task manager, do the following:

- Go to View/Select Columns...
- Check Virtual Memory Size

Now you will see a VM Size column. This represents the amount of virtual
memory your process is currently using. If this amount grows and doesn't get
reclaimed, a memory leak is usually indicated.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

As a follow up, I believe that the memory leak could be related to the
radiosity settings.

Post a reply to this message