POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC5 photons and render time Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  RC5 photons and render time (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Mike Hough
Subject: RC5 photons and render time
Date: 26 May 2002 23:53:03
Message: <3cf1ad9f@news.povray.org>
It was suggested to me that I do a comparison using the example scene
"optics.pov" to show the difference in render time between MegaPOV 0.7 and
POV-Ray 3.5 RC5.  The only change to the scene was to replace the keyword
"collect off" to "ignore_photons".  MegaPOV appears to render the scene
about 7 times faster.  I'll post the images in the binaries group.  To me
there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two.

Resolution - 640x480 AA 0.3

MegaPOV 0.7 -          6 minutes 31 seconds
POV-Ray 3.5 RC5 - 47 minutes 51 seconds

Post a reply to this message

> It was suggested to me that I do a comparison using the example scene
> "optics.pov" to show the difference in render time between MegaPOV 0.7 and
> POV-Ray 3.5 RC5.  The only change to the scene was to replace the keyword
> "collect off" to "ignore_photons".  MegaPOV appears to render the scene
> about 7 times faster.  I'll post the images in the binaries group.  To me
> there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two.

I can confirm a similar discrepancy using the "photons example" file in the
3.5 Insert Menu. The only change to the file was to convert fresnel reflection
to MegaPOV syntax. Stats below:

MegaPOV 0.7  1578 pps  --  3min 15sec  -- memory 2078333
3.5 RC5             190pps   -- 26min 56sec  -- memoy 1793608

Resolution was 640x480 aa.3 on a P3 600 running Windows 2000, with 96M of RAM.
Speed difference was over 8 times slower for 3.5 RC5.

Post a reply to this message

Confirmed.  The quality is actually much better, even though you don't see
it.  However, I'm adding a new feature that will bring back the performance
and put more control in the hands of the user.  :-)  The new feature will be
part of the radius keyword within the photons block within global settings.

-Nathan

"Mike Hough" <Ama### [at] aolcom> wrote...
> It was suggested to me that I do a comparison using the example scene
> "optics.pov" to show the difference in render time between MegaPOV 0.7 and
> POV-Ray 3.5 RC5.  The only change to the scene was to replace the keyword
> "collect off" to "ignore_photons".  MegaPOV appears to render the scene
> about 7 times faster.  I'll post the images in the binaries group.  To me
> there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two.
>
> Resolution - 640x480 AA 0.3
>
> MegaPOV 0.7 -          6 minutes 31 seconds
> POV-Ray 3.5 RC5 - 47 minutes 51 seconds

Post a reply to this message

> Confirmed.  The quality is actually much better, even though you don't see
> it.  However, I'm adding a new feature that will bring back the
performance
> and put more control in the hands of the user.

That was quick.  :)

Anything to make tuning easier will be a big help.  One thing that I liked
about photons from early on was how good they could look with a small number
of samples, particularly for animation.

Post a reply to this message

> Confirmed.  The quality is actually much better, even though you don't see
> it.  However, I'm adding a new feature that will bring back the performance
> and put more control in the hands of the user.  :-)  The new feature will be
> part of the radius keyword within the photons block within global settings.

So what you're saying is that this is one of the few cases where it really IS
not a bug, but an undocumented feature.  ; }