POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Camera: some explanation needed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Camera: some explanation needed (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Herman Serras
Subject: Camera: some explanation needed
Date: 20 Mar 2002 11:05:06
Message: <3C98B336.B9EAC8E9@pandora.be>
In the working docs ( section 6.4) I read:

"Depending on the projection type some of the parameters are required,
some are optional and some aren't used."

But: which parameters are required ex. for the orthographic projection
(the one I use for my mathematically oriented images ex.
http://cage.rug.ac.be/~hs/ )?

As to the orthographic projection the working docs aren't much clearer:

"6.4.2.2 Orthographic projection

This projection uses parallel camera rays to create an image of the
scene.

If you replace the perspective keyword by orthographic and leave all
other parameters the same, you'll get an orthographic view with the same
image area, i.e. the
size of the image is the same. You should be aware though that the
visible parts of the scene change when switching from perspective to
orthographic view. As long as all
objects of interest are near the look_at point they'll be still visible
if the orthographic camera is used. Objects farther away may get out of
view while nearer objects will
stay in view."

Is there somebody who can give a short and clear explanation?

Friendly greetings,
--
Herman Serras
Gent (Belgium)