POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : double_illuminate only works with direct lighting Server Time
27 Apr 2024 02:31:42 EDT (-0400)
  double_illuminate only works with direct lighting (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Bouf
Subject: double_illuminate only works with direct lighting
Date: 17 Nov 2001 18:22:58
Message: <3BF6F1FE.D21B0C6@oreka.com>
POV3.5 beta 7 on Win98.

I don't know if it's a bug, a forgotten feature or if it works as it has to.

The double_illuminate feature doesn't take into account
the indirect illumination (i.e. radiosity samples).

Try the code below:

// test double illuminate + radiosity
box{<-10,-10,20>,<10,10,21> pigment{rgb 2}finish{ambient 1}}
plane{z,0 pigment{rgb 1}finish{diffuse 1.2}
	hollow double_illuminate
}
camera{location -10*z look_at 0}
global_settings {
	max_trace_level 30
	adc_bailout 0.02
	radiosity{
		count 100
		nearest_count 4
		error_bound .5
		recursion_limit 1
		brightness 1.0

		pretrace_start  .05
		pretrace_end  .02

		low_error_factor .5
		gray_threshold 0.2
		minimum_reuse 0.015
		normal on

		max_sample 2.0
		adc_bailout .02
    }
}

The scene renders completely black.
If you put the camera on 10*z (outside of the plane),
you see that the plane is illuminated by the (very) white box.

Hope that it is possible (and easy) to implement.

Thanks for all.

Bouf.

Post a reply to this message

> I don't know if it's a bug, a forgotten feature or if it works as it has to.
>
> The double_illuminate feature doesn't take into account
> the indirect illumination (i.e. radiosity samples).
>
> Try the code below:
>
> // test double illuminate + radiosity
> box{<-10,-10,20>,<10,10,21> pigment{rgb 2}finish{ambient 1}}
> plane{z,0 pigment{rgb 1}finish{diffuse 1.2}
>  hollow double_illuminate
> }
> camera{location -10*z look_at 0}
> global_settings {
>  max_trace_level 30
>  adc_bailout 0.02
>  radiosity{
>   count 100
>   nearest_count 4
>   error_bound .5
>   recursion_limit 1
>   brightness 1.0
>
>   pretrace_start  .05
>   pretrace_end  .02
>
>   low_error_factor .5
>   gray_threshold 0.2
>   minimum_reuse 0.015
>   normal on
>
>   max_sample 2.0
>   adc_bailout .02
>     }
> }
>
> The scene renders completely black.
> If you put the camera on 10*z (outside of the plane),
> you see that the plane is illuminated by the (very) white box.
>
> Hope that it is possible (and easy) to implement.
>
> Thanks for all.
>
> Bouf.

I am wondering if this problem is solved? I am using double_illuminate scene and
found that the reflectance of the scene is underestimated (version 3.7.1).
Thanks in advance.

Post a reply to this message