POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : default camera angle in Doc Server Time
24 Apr 2024 05:52:57 EDT (-0400)
  default camera angle in Doc (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Thierry B
Subject: default camera angle in Doc
Date: 16 Oct 2001 04:32:09
Message: <3BCBF089.CBB50DBB@chez.com>
hello pov.monde

In the doc:
http://www.povray.org/working-docs/id000158.html#6_4_1_3

was it possible to add the default angle value used if no
angle given ?

--
Thierry, (42++)++     :::      http://la.buvette.org/exPOV/

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob H
Subject: Re: default camera angle in Doc
Date: 16 Oct 2001 06:31:54
Message: <3bcc0c9a@news.povray.org>
"Thierry B." <oul### [at] chezcom> wrote in message
> hello pov.monde
>
> In the doc:
> http://www.povray.org/working-docs/id000158.html#6_4_1_3
>
> was it possible to add the default angle value used if no
> angle given ?

If you are asking about what the default is or if it should be added to the
documentation I have only found it to be approximately angle 67 for the
perspective projection camera.  When I try to find that according to the
formula mentioned in that section, "direction_length = 0.5 * right_length /
tan(angle / 2) where right_length is the length of the right vector", I come
up with about 'direction 0.56' which is just more than half of what it ought
to be.  I just don't know if I'm figuring that correctly.  Although I have
compared a direction 1 to angle 67 and managed to see nearly an equivalence.

I haven't checked again recently to see if it remains that way, but it might
be okay to add that angle defaults to approx. 67 in the documentation if it
is so.  Either that or someone needs to provide an exact number for it I
guess.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

> When I try to find that according to the
> formula mentioned in that section, "direction_length = 0.5 * right_length
/
> tan(angle / 2) where right_length is the length of the right vector", I
come
> up with about 'direction 0.56' which is just more than half of what it
ought
> to be.

Really? I come up with 1.00722346241. The exact value for angle is 2 atan
(2/3), or about 67.38013502.

Anders

Post a reply to this message