POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Does animation have any rendering benefit? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 03:40:04 EDT (-0400)
  Does animation have any rendering benefit? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Kima
Subject: Does animation have any rendering benefit?
Date: 21 Aug 2019 01:45:00
Message: <web.5d5cd93d6f9402aeecc0fada0@news.povray.org>
With animation command, povray renders a series of images at different times.
Apart from coding sophistication, does animation need fewer resources (CPU time)
to render the images?

For example, imagine we move an object in 100 steps with the clock time. Is the
rendering process different from when we render 100 individual images? Is it
faster to render the same 100 images with the animation command, as compared
with rendering 100 pov files?

I mean does povray remember/cache some parts of rendering, which are not
changing through 100 frames? Or animation is just a simple loop which triggers
full rendering at each given time?

Post a reply to this message

> With animation command, povray renders a series of images at different times.
> Apart from coding sophistication, does animation need fewer resources (CPU time)
> to render the images?
>
> For example, imagine we move an object in 100 steps with the clock time. Is the
> rendering process different from when we render 100 individual images? Is it
> faster to render the same 100 images with the animation command, as compared
> with rendering 100 pov files?
>
> I mean does povray remember/cache some parts of rendering, which are not
> changing through 100 frames? Or animation is just a simple loop which triggers
> full rendering at each given time?

Others better know the exacts, but resources are not reduced(1) with
animation.

For more information, search the newsgroups for a keyword & feature
added as an experimental feature to uberpov called #persistent. It
allows parts of the SDL scene to be marked as persistent frame to frame.

Bill P.

(1) - With hard disk file caching, macro caching 'maybe' sometimes
animation a tiny bit better. The animation mechanism occasionally gets
used to create input to follow on frames and so due this carries a
resource benefit.