POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : relativistic travel effects Server Time
16 Apr 2024 17:02:40 EDT (-0400)
  relativistic travel effects (Message 4 to 13 of 13)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: relativistic travel effects
Date: 5 Nov 2016 04:42:15
Message: <581d9b67$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.11.2016 um 01:49 schrieb rodv92:
> Hi there,
>
> i am thinking of the tools i could use to make an animation of a camera
> accelerating toward 0,99c speed.
>
> If i remember well, i would have to use a widening focal to make the direction
> the camera is going appear as if it was receding and concentrating the field of
> view toward a point.
>
> For this i could use some kind of conical media, going darker at the sides and
> adding redshift effects, and chromatic aberrations.
>
> See : www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQnHTKZBTI4

("This video is not available in your country.")
Oh great.
I hate YouTube.

Anyway:

From what I know you'll need more than just a distortion of the field of
view; most notably, objects will appear "rotated" somehow.

There used to be a patched version of POV-Ray specifically designed to
simulate relativistic effects. It'll be quite out of date, but maybe
it'll do what you need.

Post a reply to this message

> > i am thinking of the tools i could use to make an animation of a camera
> > accelerating toward 0,99c speed.
> >
> > If i remember well, i would have to use a widening focal to make the direction
> > the camera is going appear as if it was receding and concentrating the field of
> > view toward a point.
> >
> > For this i could use some kind of conical media, going darker at the sides and
> > adding redshift effects, and chromatic aberrations.
> >
> > See : www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQnHTKZBTI4
>

> ("This video is not available in your country.")
> Oh great.
> I hate YouTube.

I was going to see if I could find something else similar enough but instead
this other web page about physics rendered with P-R caught my attention.
Includes relativistic effects and links to more.

http://bugman123.com/Physics/index.html

The YouTube animation basically shows a series of accelerations showing a
stretching forward viewpoint and curving surroundings together with shifting
color (Redshift), also lack of color nearby.

> From what I know you'll need more than just a distortion of the field of
> view; most notably, objects will appear "rotated" somehow.
>
> There used to be a patched version of POV-Ray specifically designed to
> simulate relativistic effects. It'll be quite out of date, but maybe
> it'll do what you need.

Searched and found this web page of text+pictures about that. Was based on
POV-Ray 2.0, no luck locating the actual program. All broken links, as well as
the one from povray.org

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2574193_Relativistic_Ray-Tracing_Simulating_the_Visual_Appearance_of_Rapidly_M
oving_Objects

Post a reply to this message