POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : What developers for animation of the using bone do? Server Time
16 Apr 2024 16:08:29 EDT (-0400)
  What developers for animation of the using bone do? (Message 4 to 13 of 13)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: What developers for animation of the using bone do?
Date: 22 Nov 2015 01:40:06
Message: <56516346@news.povray.org>
On 11/22/2015 4:39 AM, LanuHum wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> On 11/21/2015 2:49 PM, LanuHum wrote:
>>> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm
>>> It everything, what Povray can?
>>> How to animate the character?
>>>

>> I am not sure what you are saying. :-(
>> When you say "Bone" in the subject, do you mean something that uses
>> inverse kinematics, to create to determine the joint parameters of an
>> object? PovRay does not support this, itself.
>>
>>   > http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm
>>
>> That is a very good site with some solutions and code for some common
>> (and not so common) animation situations.
>> Remember PovRay only "renders" with some SDL code to control it.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards
>>       Stephen
>
> You correctly understood me. But, I want to learn: when performing a script of
> SDL creating animation of Povray each frame starts considering from scratch,
> releasing memory? Or it leaves data which don't change in time in memory?
> I thought that Povray doesn't unload geometry from memory every time, step by
> step (a shot off-screen, frame by frame)

As far as I understand, that is correct. But I do not know what PovRay
does in an animation when it reads a data file each frame.

Which makes me wonder what PovRay does in an animation that consists of
a .pov file which includes a different file to be rendered each frame.

For instance Bishop3d handles animations by exporting a distinct file
for each frame. It does not make full use of the clock variable.

Ini file:

Input_File_Name = T02f4_Newdf3_03b_.pov
Output_File_Name = T02f4_Newdf3_03b_
Initial_Frame = 0
Final_Frame = 9999
Subset_Start_Frame = 0
Subset_End_Frame = 359

T02f4_Newdf3_03b_.pov file:

#include concat( "T02f4_Newdf3_03b_", str( frame_number, -4, 0 ) ".pov" )

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 22 Nov 2015 04:29:06
Message: <56518ae2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.11.2015 um 05:39 schrieb LanuHum:

> You correctly understood me. But, I want to learn: when performing a script of
> SDL creating animation of Povray each frame starts considering from scratch,
> releasing memory? Or it leaves data which don't change in time in memory?
> I thought that Povray doesn't unload geometry from memory every time, step by
> step (a shot off-screen, frame by frame)

POV-Ray indeed renders each frame separately, throwing away all data and
re-parsing the entire scene from scratch.

UberPOV does provide a way to carry over selected data from one frame to
the next though.

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 22 Nov 2015 05:45:02
Message: <web.56519be95a295d497a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>

> UberPOV does provide a way to carry over selected data from one frame to
> the next though.

How it is realized?

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 22 Nov 2015 06:52:56
Message: <5651ac98$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.11.2015 um 11:41 schrieb LanuHum:

>> UberPOV does provide a way to carry over selected data from one frame to
>> the next though.
>
> How it is realized?

Besides global and local variables, UberPOV has an additional
"super-global" variable scope, which carries over from frame to frame
(and even from scene to scene, in the Windows version; this is an
unintended side effect but difficult to get rid of in the current
architecture) as long as you don't exit POV-Ray or explicitly get rid of
the variable using "#undef".

The keyword to define a variable at this "super-global" scope is
"#persistent".

To actually benefit from the mechanism, you'd typically use:

    #ifndef(Foo)
    #persistent Foo = ...
    #endif

(There is one known caveat: Random number generators currently can't be
carried over between frames.)

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 22 Nov 2015 09:00:02
Message: <web.5651ca485a295d497a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
> Am 22.11.2015 um 11:41 schrieb LanuHum:
> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >>
> >> UberPOV does provide a way to carry over selected data from one frame to
> >> the next though.
> >
> > How it is realized?
>
> Besides global and local variables, UberPOV has an additional
> "super-global" variable scope, which carries over from frame to frame
> (and even from scene to scene, in the Windows version; this is an
> unintended side effect but difficult to get rid of in the current
> architecture) as long as you don't exit POV-Ray or explicitly get rid of
> the variable using "#undef".
>
> The keyword to define a variable at this "super-global" scope is
> "#persistent".
>
> To actually benefit from the mechanism, you'd typically use:
>
>     #ifndef(Foo)
>     #persistent Foo = ...
>     #endif
>

> (There is one known caveat: Random number generators currently can't be
> carried over between frames.)

Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 23 Nov 2015 12:50:03
Message: <web.5653515d5a295d4933c457550@news.povray.org>
> Am 22.11.2015 um 11:41 schrieb LanuHum:
> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >>
> >> UberPOV does provide a way to carry over selected data from one frame to
> >> the next though.
> >
> > How it is realized?
>
> Besides global and local variables, UberPOV has an additional
> "super-global" variable scope, which carries over from frame to frame
> (and even from scene to scene, in the Windows version; this is an
> unintended side effect but difficult to get rid of in the current
> architecture) as long as you don't exit POV-Ray or explicitly get rid of
> the variable using "#undef".
>
> The keyword to define a variable at this "super-global" scope is
> "#persistent".
>
> To actually benefit from the mechanism, you'd typically use:
>
>     #ifndef(Foo)
>     #persistent Foo = ...
>     #endif
>

> (There is one known caveat: Random number generators currently can't be
> carried over between frames.)

Thanks for that info; very informative. (I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't
yet done any *animation* in v3.7 or UberPOV. I'm looking forward to doing so!)

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Nov 2015 22:30:00
Message: <web.56552aec5a295d495e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
"LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm
> It everything, what Povray can?
> How to animate the character?

Do you want to animate a skeleton?
I think that maybe a long time ago, Rune posted some of the results and methods
of his animation work,
and there were also a few other people working with Inverse Kinematics methods
to animate characters.
IIRC, Thomas DeGroot and his friend were working on a movie, and there was some
pretty sophisticated methods for animating the characters.  I think that work
was described over on the TINA-CHeP forum.

You can probably look for 3D scanned images of real skeletal bones online.
(If you run into any problems, I can see what I have saved as part of a
project.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Nov 2015 03:03:30
Message: <56556b52@news.povray.org>
On 25-11-2015 4:28, Bald Eagle wrote:
> "LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
>> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm
>> It everything, what Povray can?
>> How to animate the character?
>
> Do you want to animate a skeleton?
> I think that maybe a long time ago, Rune posted some of the results and methods
> of his animation work,
> and there were also a few other people working with Inverse Kinematics methods
> to animate characters.
> IIRC, Thomas DeGroot and his friend were working on a movie, and there was some
> pretty sophisticated methods for animating the characters.  I think that work
> was described over on the TINA-CHeP forum.
>
> You can probably look for 3D scanned images of real skeletal bones online.
> (If you run into any problems, I can see what I have saved as part of a
> project.)

Within POV-Ray, Inverse Kinematics would be the way to go. I have used
that technique, not for animations, but to make wind-bend plants for
instance. Moray was great for Inverse Kinematics use.

You are referring to the discussion in the TinaCheP forum between DrNo
and me. I don't know what technique DrNo is using for his film as he is
his own developer. The discussion was mainly about the storyboard and
some visual glitches so I am afraid not many technical details were
revealed.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 25 Nov 2015 12:00:01
Message: <web.5655e8b55a295d497a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
> On 25-11-2015 4:28, Bald Eagle wrote:
> > "LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
> >> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm
> >> It everything, what Povray can?
> >> How to animate the character?
> >
> > Do you want to animate a skeleton?
> > I think that maybe a long time ago, Rune posted some of the results and methods
> > of his animation work,
> > and there were also a few other people working with Inverse Kinematics methods
> > to animate characters.
> > IIRC, Thomas DeGroot and his friend were working on a movie, and there was some
> > pretty sophisticated methods for animating the characters.  I think that work
> > was described over on the TINA-CHeP forum.
> >
> > You can probably look for 3D scanned images of real skeletal bones online.
> > (If you run into any problems, I can see what I have saved as part of a
> > project.)
> >

> Within POV-Ray, Inverse Kinematics would be the way to go. I have used
> that technique, not for animations, but to make wind-bend plants for
> instance. Moray was great for Inverse Kinematics use.
>
> You are referring to the discussion in the TinaCheP forum between DrNo
> and me. I don't know what technique DrNo is using for his film as he is
> his own developer. The discussion was mainly about the storyboard and
> some visual glitches so I am afraid not many technical details were
> revealed.
>
> --
> Thomas

I was interested in possibility of a render to keep geometry between frames. It
was my delusion. Only UberPov has some abilities.
The idea was: to create one file for a scene and, thus to kill parsing time.

Post a reply to this message

From: muyu
Date: 3 Jan 2018 10:15:00
Message: <web.5a4cf34d5a295d49cf0bfa9c0@news.povray.org>
> Am 22.11.2015 um 11:41 schrieb LanuHum:
> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >>
> >> UberPOV does provide a way to carry over selected data from one frame to
> >> the next though.
> >
> > How it is realized?
>
> Besides global and local variables, UberPOV has an additional
> "super-global" variable scope, which carries over from frame to frame
> (and even from scene to scene, in the Windows version; this is an
> unintended side effect but difficult to get rid of in the current
> architecture) as long as you don't exit POV-Ray or explicitly get rid of
> the variable using "#undef".
>
> The keyword to define a variable at this "super-global" scope is
> "#persistent".
>
> To actually benefit from the mechanism, you'd typically use:
>
>     #ifndef(Foo)
>     #persistent Foo = ...
>     #endif
>

> (There is one known caveat: Random number generators currently can't be
> carried over between frames.)

I met this problem also. Could you please give some more details? It will be
very nice if you can give an example. Thanks a lot in advance.

Shouyang