POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : What animation front end? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:46:57 EDT (-0400)
  What animation front end? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: John Greenwood
Subject: What animation front end?
Date: 20 Apr 2014 06:10:01
Message: <web.53539c36969453f7a7cafab50@news.povray.org>
I have started a major PovRay project, the object of which is to make a series
of animated images describing a novel transport system.

These animations will include some human figures, see:
http://www.john-greenwood.co.uk/PovRay/Crowd/

but in these animations only the hardware of the transport system will move
smoothly. The human figures will simply jump from one static pose to another.

The hardware will move according to simple equations of motion, so in principle
this should be straight forward to write them in PovRay, but a front end, where
parameters can be controlled along a timeline, would be better.

Is Moray the answer? It does not seem to be discussed much in the last few
years.

Post a reply to this message

On 20/04/2014 11:06 AM, John Greenwood wrote:
> I have started a major PovRay project, the object of which is to make a series
> of animated images describing a novel transport system.
>
> These animations will include some human figures, see:
> http://www.john-greenwood.co.uk/PovRay/Crowd/
>
> but in these animations only the hardware of the transport system will move
> smoothly. The human figures will simply jump from one static pose to another.
>
> The hardware will move according to simple equations of motion, so in principle
> this should be straight forward to write them in PovRay, but a front end, where
> parameters can be controlled along a timeline, would be better.
>
> Is Moray the answer? It does not seem to be discussed much in the last few
> years.

Interesting project by the sound of it.

 From what I remember of Moray's animation system, it would be able to
help. I've not used it much but it was similar to Bishop3d's and I have
used that quite a bit.
Moray is free but unsupported. You will need to recreate your scene in
Moray, though.
Bishop3d is not free (USD40) and unsupported. It does have an import
function. Where it can parse a subset of PovRay objects and you can
visualise them in 3D space.

--
Regards
     Stephen

I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.

Post a reply to this message